The sauna test

The next morning we were all freaking out, no way El defeated the Mind Flayer, this is not happening. I couldn't sleep all night so when the rest of the group woke up they began pestering Max and El. 'Do you copy? This is a code red.' Lucas spoke, it's too early for this. They are definitely not awake. 'I repeat, this is a code red.' Dude she's gonna kill you. 'Max, do you copy? This. Is. A. Code. Red!' Dude do not speak to her like that she will be the end of you.
'Shut. Up!' I smiled, she not happy. She obviously shut it off because we were speaking into a dead line right now. 'She turned it off.' He said, looking at the house phone. Shit, she's gonna fucking murder this boy. 'I'm sleeping, go away!' She went to put the phone down but I snatched it out of Lucas' hand and said, 'Max please don't hang up.'
'Kayla?'
'Yeah, yeah it's me I need you and El to meet us at Mikes house.'
'Why?'
'I need you to trust me Max, something bad is happening and we need you here as soon as possible.'
'Okay, umm we'll be there let me just get changed.'
Sighing in relief I said, 'Okay thanks red I'll see you in a bit.' I hung up the phone and smiled.
Unfortunately I got welcomed with a, 'Why does she listen to you but not to me.' Lucas exclaimed.
'One I don't lie to her, two I don't wake her up at god knows when in the morning and three I don't really care for anything so if I say somethings bad, it's bad.'   After that, we stayed quiet before I walked out of the basement. 'Where are you going?' Mike asked.
'As much as I hate you right now, you still have to eat , I'm gonna teleport to get food from my house and then I'm cooking for you. Pancakes or English breakfast?'
'Pancakes!' Lucas shouted.
'Pancakes!' Mike shouted.
'And Will what would you like?' I said, smiling at him.
'Can I have some pancakes please?' Oh this sweet boy has endured too much for his age. I simply nodded, got the ingredients and teleported back to the Wheelers kitchen. I knew the Wheelers wouldn't be up for a few hours so I didn't have to make up an excuse as to why I'm cooking so much. I left the boys to it closing my eyes before entering Mikes mind. 'Now is the time to apologise to Will.'
'Are you in my head?'
'Nah it's just voices in your head that sound like me, no shit I'm in your head now stop asking questions and apologise to Will.'
'Okay, okay.'
'Bye now.'
After that I continued cooking, getting several plates putting 3 or 4 on each plate. When it came to El and Max I added an eggo on the side for El and for Max I knew pancakes were her favourite dish so, I put sugar with a few touches of lemon and some strawberries in the side for two. And for the other two I neatly poured syrup around it, adding blueberries for measure. For Will I put a lot of sugar- he loves sugar and some syrup. I knew how he liked it. I was too concentrated to realise that Max and El had walked in, seeing me cook something, they didn't see what I was actually making.

What I didn't know was that Max was watching me from afar, smiling like a fool

What I didn't know was that Max was watching me from afar, smiling like a fool. Before I could see them, they wondered off back down to the basement. I brought everyone their food down starting with Mike and Lucas. I gave them the plate saying, 'I didn't know what you liked so here's the toppings.'
They smiled at me saying, 'Thanks.' Before I left, I raised my eyebrows to Mike, implying the, 'Did you do it.' When he nodded I smiled and left to get Will and Max's. I came back down giving Max hers and she said, 'You remembered?'
'Of course, how could u forget.'
Now walking up to Will I said, 'For my favourite party member.'
'Really because the blush on your cheeks from a second ago is telling me a different story.'
'Fuck me keep your voice down?!'
He whisper yelled in purpose, 'it's not my fault you two are fawning over each other 24/7 is it?' I grabbed his mouth stopping him from saying anything else. This must've attracted attention because they all turned to look at us, 'What's going on?' Lucas asked.
'Nothing!' I gave Byers the look before turning to Max and El. Max was bright red, shit El must've been listening in.
Smiling I began, 'On that note I'm going to get the rest of the pancakes.' I finished quickly scurrying out of the basement. I brought down Els and she was like a kid with candy, after we finished I said, 'So Will, tell them what you know.'
'Okay well at first, I didn't think it was anything. I mean I think I just didn't want to believe it. The first time I felt it was at Day of the Dead.' I looked down at the floor, not making eye contact with anyone as Mike said, 'The power went out that night.'
'Ehhh well that might have been my doing, I kinda got overwhelmed and broke the projector but then I fixed it.'
'And then I felt it again at the field near Nelson farm the next day.' Shit, I thought I felt something in my arm when we stopped. I looked at the floor thinking when Will continued, 'Then again yesterday outside Castle Byers.'
'What does it feel like?'
'It's almost like- you know when yours on a roller coaster?'
'Yeah.'
'Yes.'
'Sure.'
'No.' I turned to look at El and was sad about how little of a childhood she's had.
'It's like-'
'Everything inside your body is sinking all at once, and there's this contrast between burning and freezing cold.'
'you get shivers from the cold and you can't breathe.' Will added.
'I've felt it before, whenever he was close.'
'Whenever who was close?' Max asked.
In unison me and Will said, 'The Mind Flayer.'
'But I closed the gate?' Ell added.
'I know but what if what if he never left? What if we locked him out here with us?' El looked so scared so Will rushed over to the paper drawing the Mind Flayer saying, 'That day in the field, a part of him attached himself to me. My mum got it out of me and El closed the gate. But that part that was still in me, what if when El closed the gate, it got shut in our world.'
'I don't understand. The demodogs died when El closed the gate. If the brain dies, the body dies.' Max inputted.
'The part that was in Will was the mind. The demodogs are the bodies but The Mind Flayer attacked Will. The Mind Flayer is the brain therefore that part of the brain lived on, we didn't kill all of it. That's why it lived on, it's the brain not the body.'
'Well since that's the case, it would have wanted to attach itself to a new host. A new me.'
I looked over to El and she looked petrified. I rushed over to her, holding her shoulders saying, 'El what is it?'
Looking up, she simply looked at Max and said, 'How can you tell if someone is a host?'
'Well they'll act out of character, try to fit in but it you can tell somethings off, whether they looked overly scared or overly happy.'
El looked Max straight in the eye and said, 'Billy.' I let go of her shoulders and took a step back saying, 'No, no, it can't be Billy.'
'Right?' But all except Max looked at me sadly.