Chapter 8 - Masato's Penalty

Start from the beginning

"Ayame and Asuka."

Tending to the computer in front of her, the woman's fierce tapping was the only sound being heard. With an ear com, she was asking for verifications and what-not, and finally, after like a minute, she weaved a charming smile and a 'go ahead'. With the insertion of given directions, Ayame and I strolled over to the next destination after going through the tiny slip in the gold and black splashed elevator. 

Apparently, our appointment was on the 17th floor, which is pretty high up for someone like us, EVEN if this made use of Shining's connections. Now I'm wondering more than ever as to what the purpose is here. 

After a few minutes, the elevator had subsequently come to a stop with a 'ding', the metal doors slid aside and provided a way to the large hall stretching out. Readying ourselves for what was to come forth, Ayame and I steadily exited the large gold platform and continued following the route that the receptionist had jotted down. Several extensive corridors later, we ultimately found ourselves standing before a frosted glass door, making it impossible for us to see what was going on inside.

"This is the place, right...?" Ayame stared at me with a look of dubiety getting ahold of her features.

I gazed at the words 'Meeting Room' that was written in a neat bold handwriting on a nameplate stuck to the side of the door, and returned Ayame with an affirming nod. I then bent my knuckles gently onto the door's surface - my gesture was soon followed by an audible knock.

Not long after that did we hear a few murmurs on the opposite end combined with the noise of shuffling feet. I promptly stood on my toes, waiting in anticipation for who we might possibly be welcomed by at the door. Its handle then twisted as the door prudently swung open, unveiling a surprisingly familiar face behind it.

"H-Hijirikawa-san?!"

I couldn't help but blurt out his name, those violet eyes widening in shock the moment he spotted us. I'm sure that Masato wasn't expecting an encounter like this either, as confusion was clearly written all over his face but he instantly regained coolness the next moment.

"Kurashina-san? And... What brings you two here?"

"Uh, you see, the Headmaster told us to come here for some extra learning experience? That's the only info we got till now so we're still pretty clueless about the details ourselves..." Ayame jumped in, trying to explain the reason for our sudden appearance.

"I see... If that's how it is then please come in." Masato smiled while gesturing for us to enter the now quiet room.

Ayame was the first to walk ahead with me momentarily accompanying closeby. The first thing I realized about the inner furnishing was its modern style and monochromatic colour scheme. A wide, oval table was placed in the centre of the spacious area, surrounded by chairs on all sides. The fluorescent ceiling lights reflected off of the large glass frame, creating a fairly bright atmosphere. Proceeding to scan the place, I then noticed that there was another presence in the still area apart from us, and it was none other than...

"Hooh, well what do ya know? It seems like two lovely ladies had been our next perfect surprise." Just like always, Ren commented in a laid-back manner, hands casually tucked behind his head while he leaned back against the chair.

Ayame immediately spoke up, her voice louder than usual, "Huh?! You're here too?! Ooohhh, now it makes so much sense why you weren't present in today's morning class, you were simply busy with work!" 

"Bullseye." Ren gave a direct gun motion with a wink.

"What work were you two having by the way?"