Bind, Band, Bound

Start from the beginning

Draco leaned forward conspiratorially, noticing the normally still man was constantly shifting and fidgeting. "You've let the bond go deep, then?"

"Yes, as was made very clear in my terms and conditions when I signed myself over to the Order. They wanted to make sure I wouldn't leave, therefore our bind was crucial." He set down his tea cup.

"Pansy?"

Her face reddened and she had the decency to look guilty. "My relationship with Longbottom, while deeply bound because I had the same terms as Theo, is none of your business, Draco." She stuck her nose in the air.

"Don't tell me you've fallen into the sack with that bumbling fool." He sneered openly, feeling gratification at Pansy's clenched teeth.

"Neville is labelled as a Defense with a B2.6, which as you will learn makes him an extremely formidable fighter. We often flex as frontline fighters in battle as well." She crossed her arms over her chest. "We do quite well, thank you very much and I don't think a bumbling fool, as you so eloquently put it, would have been able to survive over a dozen battles across the past two years." With that, Pansy stormed away, leaving Draco with his mouth slightly ajar.

Theo sighed. "I know you don't understand this yet mate, but you can't insult someone's bound partner. It's just not right."

"How am I supposed to trust anything Pansy says when she's shagging a Gryffindor? Not to mention it's probably all manufactured feelings from the bloody bind. How can she do that?"

Theo looked uncomfortable, opening and shutting his mouth several times before he spoke.

"I know this is hard to stomach, Draco. The bind will not make you feel anything that you, yourself, without the bind wouldn't. It simply strengthens and plays on all the emotions that are already there."

"I hate Granger."

Theo shook his head. "You can't."

Draco sputtered. "What do you mean I can't?"

"The spell would have never deemed you two a match, and such a strong one at that, if either of you had any real feelings of malice towards each other."

Draco gritted his teeth. "That's utter bollocks and you know it. She's a swot and despite what her seemingly perfect spell shows, I will prove it to all of you."

"Don't be such a prat, Draco. You've no idea what it will be like, despite what everyone has been telling you."

"Even if I felt anything other than hate for her, it would just be the stupid incantation planting false feelings into my head. How can neither of you see that? It's no better than amortentia or— the Imperius curse!" Theo rolled his eyes but Draco pushed on. "Yeah, think about it! It's making you feel these strong emotions— that you would have never felt before— so much so that you're getting all antsy just because you haven't seen your Ginger hag in a few hours."

Theo's eyes flashed with anger and he stood, looming over Draco.

"It's like I said," he whispered, moving his face closer until it was inches from Draco's, his voice was dripping with looming threat. "You shouldn't insult someone's bound partner."

He straightened then, heading for the door. "Now, as you've pointed out, I need to go see Ginny. I'll be waiting for your apology after the binding ceremony. Good luck, Malfoy."

---

Hermione was standing in the kitchen, eating toast as she reviewed the latest report on the infiltration they had completed yesterday. Seven injuries, but no deaths. The A team was getting good. She bit back a smirk.