Ch.6 The Human Brain

Começar do início

"We know someone nearby," Adeline volunteered. "The family buys and sells yachts. It'll be faster to get boats from them then to have ships be portaled here."

Clare looked a bit uncomfortable. It had been months since she had seen her cousin. Ever since Adeline and Ben's secret came out in the family, one one knew what to do. Everyone was hurt, confused, angry, scared. They didn't want to push Adeline away. But she had pushed them away years ago when she made the decision to hide something so big.

But then again, hadn't Clare done the same thing when she kept her powers a secret from everyone?

"Okay," Clare nodded. She was tired of the awkwardness between her and Adeline. "Call them and see if they can have three boat ready for us."

"Just one," Ben stopped his wife.

"What?" Nora looked at her screen, checking to see if the man was looking at the correct thing.

"There's only one island here," Ben said.

"But there are three sites where ships vanish."

"Connect all the locations," Ben said.

Nora handed him her stylus and watched as he drew lines from one coordinate to another. A triangle formed on the screen in the middle of the gulf.

"The island is in the middle," Ben said.

"How do you know?" Hayden asked.

"The three locations where ships vanish are the pillars for energy fields. They surround the island, stopping anything or anyone from entering from any direction."

"That makes life a lot easier," Ares said. "We just have one place to search."

"What about naval ships?" Nora asked. "Dozens of ships were deployed into the gulf."

"That is beyond my memory," Ben looked up. "They must have made those calls after Ben left."

Killian watched Nora slowly nod her head.

Kiara will like her.

The sudden thought made his heart shrivel up painfully once more. He wondered if the people around him could see how suffocated he was. Every second he felt as if he was moments away from completely losing his mind. And ever since Kiara was taken, each second had become a thousand year.

Killian wanted everything to happen at lightning speed. No matter how fast everyone moved, he still had the urge to scream.

Kiara needed him. Did they not understand that?

Ever so often he had the urge to go off on his own. But he reminded himself he needed to think clearly. Alone, he didn't have the manpower. He wouldn't let his emotions get in the way. He wasn't going to be reckless when it came to Kiara. So when Adeline called her connection and arranged for a yacht, Killian bit down on the inside of his cheeks and held his breath.

"Are you breathing?"

Killian's eyes snapped down to Nora. she had walked out of her van to stand next to him as Ares, Clare, Ben and Adeline all gathered around discussing strategies.

"I think so," Killian said, letting out a deep sigh and running a hand through his hair.

"I know you probably don't want to hear this, but Kiara is going to be okay," Nora said. "We will find her. We're very close."

Killian slowly nodded his head. He folded his arms over his chest, hoping the hollowness in his body would go away. He was begging to feel like a balloon. All he wanted was to feel Kiara in his arms.