Ch.6 The Human Brain

Start from the beginning

"And luck on the money?" Killian asked Nora.

"I'm still looking," Nora frowned. "I'm on a wild goose chase. The money has been passed around from country to country."

"Keep looking," Killian said.

As Hayden instructed Nora to send everyone the coordinates of the islands, a black car pulled up to the small shop and stopped. Everyone waited with suspicious eyes as the door opened and Ben Zephyr walked out.

Killian's eyes darkened immediately. He was shocked by the amount of anger he suddenly felt towards the man. He hardly knew him. But he was one of them. He was a product of something that was very wrong with the world. The living breathing product of the people who took his north star from him.

As Ben walked around to the passenger side of the car and held the door open for Adeline, Clare and Ares walked out of the shop. The women looked at each other for a brief second before Clare looked away and focused on Ben. Adeline's face fell as she took in a deep breath and walked up to where everyone stood.

"We want to help," she said, stopping in front of Hayden and Killian.

"Thanks, but we got it," Hayden hated the way his tone was so clipped. This was the woman who had helped raise him. She was his mother's twin.

"I have Ben's memory," Ben said. "Everything he knew about these people. It's all still in my head."

"So nice of you to share it with us now," Killian snapped. "Where the hell was this generosity when Hayden and Ares were trying to shut this program down months ago? You two vanished. Hide out behind your palace walls with Arla, not even giving a second glance to this mess."

"We didn't disappear," Adeline stepped forward. "We continued our work. We did and are still doing everything we can to wipe this program out."

"Well it's not enough," Killian shouted. "You created a monster and it's not stopping."

"Killian," Ben spoke gently. "I can understand how you feel."

"Don't speak to me about how I feel," Killian spit. "You're the last person I want to hear that from."

"Killian, we want to help," Adeline said. "We love Kiara and we were devastated when we heard abou-"

"Oh yes," Killian laughed. "You look so torn up."

Adeline closed her mouth as her shoulders dropped. She looked at Clare and then at Ares.

"Please," Killian held up his hand. "Save your statements for the newspapers and T.V. We don't need your glossy sympathy."

"Let us help," Ben said once more. "I'm willingly turning myself over. Ask me anything and I will tell you all I know about project Skyfall."

Before anyone could decide on what to do, Nora jumped out of her van and squeezed past Killian and Hayden. She jumped into the circle and held the laptop up to Ben.

"I have three possible locations for islands they could be using as their base," she said. "Which one do you think is the best option?"

"Nora-" Hayden tried to pull her back but she pushed his hand away.

"What?" she said. "They're here to help. You all can argue after we get information."

"The girl's right," Ares said. "We need all hands on deck."

"Speaking of decks," Nora held up a finger. "We need boats. If we want to go find these places we will need transportation."

"Don't worry about that," Clare said. "I can have Maksim send us boats."