• XIII •

A groan slipped from (Y/n)'s lips when she felt her body being jostled around. Slowly, she regained consciousness and her eyes fluttered open. Looking around with just her eyes, she saw she was in the Regalia. Her head was resting against Prompto's shoulder as she sat in his lap. One of his arms was around her waist while the other rested against her thigh. She blinked a few times and finally realized the sharpshooter was staring at her with an expression mixed between worry and relief. "Hey, you're awake! How're you feeling?"

"Better." (Y/n) lifted her head and looked around in confusion. "Where are we going?"

"Malmalam Thicket, to investigate," Ignis replied.

Prompto looked around at the somewhat dense forest around them. "I don't like the woods. Too many monsters."

"You kidding? What could be better than roughing it out here?" Gladio asked.

"A million other things could be better."

Down the bumpy, narrow dirt road, Ignis parks the Regalia in the designated parking area. Everyone exited the vehicle, closing the doors behind them. Prompto, seeing the color had returned to (Y/n)'s face, allowed her to walk on her own.

The spirit glanced down at the trail. It was too narrow for a car and meant they'd have to continue their way to Malmalam Thicket on foot or via chocobo. Just as she thought of the large birds, Iris spoke up. "Oh! While you guys were gone, I saw a chocobo run past-and it had a person on its back! Have you guys ever ridden one? I bet it'd be super fun!"

Prompto chuckles at the mention of the feathery creatures. "Funny you should ask..."

Ignis glances over at the prince. "Noct, call a bird for the lady."

Noctis pulled out the chocobo whistle and blew it. Five birds came running at the sound of the whistle and circled around the group. Iris noticed the odd number of chocobos and how they would be needing one more. Before she could even say anything, (Y/n) already had a solution. "You can ride the chocobo with the (f/c) feathers, Iris. I want to stretch out a little bit. I might even go on ahead and scope out the area to clear my head."

"Are you sure?" Iris asked, unsure of the decision.

The spirit nodded with a smile. "Yeah." She petted the (f/c) chocobo's head. "Take care of him for me."

The younger girl smiled back. "I will!"

The moment (Y/n) went to transform, Prompto stopped her. He was clearly concerned about her. She usually wasn't one to run off and be alone with her thoughts, which he knew all too well. "Hey, is everything okay? Did Callyx say something to you?"

She lowered her head with a sigh, knowing she couldn't lie to him. "He said something and I can't get it off my mind. Hopefully a small stroll around the area will clear my head."

"You sure you don't wanna talk about it?"

She smiled sadly. "I'm sure. Thank you for the offer, though." Putting some distance between her and the others, she transformed. Once in her fox form, she stretched her legs and tails. After a good stretch, she shook her body with a faint growl before taking off down the path.

Iris, who'd been staring in amazement at the fox, blinked in awe and smiled. "Wow! So that's what a spirit can do. Now I wish I had one..." She watched the guardian until she was out of sight. Climbing into the saddle of the (f/c) chocobo, she gripped his reins tightly. "Let's hurry and follow (Y/n)!"

"Someone's bossy," Gladio commented, mounting his own crimson-feathered bird.

Iris ignored her brother's playful comment and followed Noctis down the trail towards Malmalam Thicket. As they crossed a bridge spanning over the river, the young Amicitia spotted the fox maneuvering through the woods. She stared in amazement as the guardian leapt out from the tree line and attacked a pack of seadevils prowling around the bank of the river. Iris was surprised at how well (Y/n) was able to handle the creatures and kill them before they spotted them.