Ch.5 Green with Envy

Start from the beginning

"You realize my child is your only leverage over me, correct?" Kiara raised a brow. "You keep threatening me....but have you thought about what I will do to you if anything did happen to my baby?"

A taunting smile flashed across Bram's face. He lowered himself and placed a hand on one of the wheels.

"See, I don't really need to think about that," he said, his voice low enough for only Kiara to hear. "Because I know you won't take any chances."

"Don't be so sure."

"I am very sure," Bram said. "You're not heartless like your predecessor."

"How would you know?" Kiara looked into the man's hooded eyes.

"Earlier," Bram began. "When you thought your baby was in danger...you stopped."

Kiara raised a brow.

"You picked the option to have us save your baby and stay here, rather than to let your baby die and get out."

Bram's words pierced Kiara's heart. She barely had a second to think about her child, yet she was ready to do anything for the little soul. He was insane if he thought she would pick herself over her child.

"We got very lucky with you," Bram scanned Kiara's face. "You're willing to do anything for your child."

Kiara slowly filled her lungs with air that burned the whole way down. Her hands shook slightly on her lap as she lifted her gaze to the man.

"Someday you will stand before me as you take your last breath," she said, holding his gaze.

"I don't plan on dying that way," Bram smiled.

"Then I pity you," Kiara said. "Because if it's not me, then it will be Killian. And trust me, he will drag it out."

The smile on Bram's face did not waver. He stared into Kiara's eyes as if he was speaking to a child. He almost looked amused.

"And after that..." Kiara's eyes hardened. "You will have to meet my father."

"Oh," Bram laughed. "What an adventure it will be to die."

His words made Kiara's skin crawl with disgust. She moved away as George, the nurse, began to wheel her out of the room. Bram's footsteps followed them out into the hall and stayed behind like a shadow.

Kiara kept her eyes wide open the whole way. She needed to memorize every turn, every step, every door. Ares always told them their best chance at surviving was always to know their surroundings.

Plan with what you have, the god would say. Use your surrounding to your advantage.

Kiara stared ahead and took notice of all the bright lights. Every door had a keypad. The halls were long but they divided at the center. From what Kiara could see the floor was divided into four sections. All four halls met in the middle and split up according to the cardinal directions.

One to the north, one to the south, one to the east, one to the west...

George wheeled Kiara from the south to the east. He didn't stop anywhere or speak to any of the other people in the halls, not that there were any. Kiara could feel eyes following her around, but she didn't see a single soul.

After a few minutes, a set of double doors opened with a beep to reveal another long hallway. Bram walked on ahead and punched in a four digit code before a door opened and he stepped aside for George to wheel in Kiara.

"Dr. Abara," Bram greeted someone.

Kiara looked up to find a man with chocolate skin and coiled white hair. The man wore glasses and a neat little bowtie that was slightly cricket. As she stared, the man pushed his glasses up his nose and looked at Bram.