twelve

The next day, I was back at school. With an extra bandage around my arm, and a tired look. I couldn't stop thinking about what Gilbert said, that I was 'more than enough for him.'

"I'm passing down paper, we're doing the pen-pal activity early this morning." Mr. Philipps shouted.

How could I have forgotten about him. I thought. My mind was busy with other things, daydreaming about my pen-pal wasn't a priority anymore, especially after finding out he was in love with another girl.

I tried to get Gilbert's attention, I constantly waved and waited for him to turn around, but he never did. I guess he was still upset over yesterday, whatever that was.

I couldn't remember the exact words that changed his mood, or when he started acting distant. But before I could think about it more, Mr. Phillips dropped a slip of paper on my desk.

What else could I say now? It couldn't be long, because every use of my writing hand made me want to cry, but if I wrote nothing, would that be a dead giveaway of who I was?

I just want you to know, I hope things work out with this girl you love. Whoever she is, I want you to be happy.

I could feel a stomachache coming, and it pained me to write each of those words. But acceptance is a part of life, and sometimes you don't get everything you want.

But life isn't about those.

Your life is how you react to them.

You can run from your challenges, or you can face them. That's what it is.

I didn't say anything else in the note, and when Mr. Phillips collected them all, a part of me wanted to tear that one up and write a new one. But I didn't.

Hey,
How are you? I'm sorry my responses haven't been as long as usual. I just have a lot going on.

Mmm. Don't we all.

It's just girl drama and things happening at home. I want you to know I trust you, but you don't know who I am yet so I'd rather keep that stuff to myself for identity purposes. Anyways, I can't wait to read your note.
-Pen pal

It's not like you could explicitly read tone through paper, but I knew that last line was anything but genuine.

His had some more words than mine. I guess I could've been politer, but I didn't care for formalities right now. "Okay, now you can write a response and the other person will read it. Hurry up." Mr. Phillips stated.

I exhaled through my nose when I got my second sheet of paper. Now what to say to that. I guess I didn't completely trust him either, but out of all the boys in the class, he was the one I trusted most. I suppose I wasn't that girl to him.

I'm doing well thank you for asking. I'm sorry things are hard for you right now. Problems can be difficult, so you could always talk to me if you'd like. Just not overshare. Whatever you're comfortable with I guess.

Minutes went by, and my patience for Mr. Phillips was growing thinner and thinner. Finally, he passed out our next ones and I took the note quickly, ignoring the stinging feeling in my arm.

I'm happy to have your support. Admitting I was in love with someone was nerve-racking, especially since we don't know eachother. But the girl I love, well she loves someone else. She told me herself. I don't know, I guess I was ignorant to think she cared.

I almost audibly gasped at the note.

That was exactly how I felt. Finding out he loved someone else. I felt the need to cry there, sitting at my desk.