Chapter 2, Edaline-

Start from the beginning

"Anyway. I came here to take over. It's been a long few days, and you've worked hard."

"Thank you." Edaline reached into her cape and pulled out her pathfinder. She opened her mouth to say more, but stopped. There was no need to tell Bronte of her worries. Even if the Black Swan was real, they were elusive. Jolie would never find them.

And if she did...

Well. Edaline just wouldn't think about that.

Instead she bade Bronte farewell, lifted her crystal, and let the light sweep her back to home.

She glittered into the expansive pastures that surrounded Havenfield. The sun was setting, but the gnomes were still hard at work, planting gardens and tiding to the trees.

Edaline smiled at the few who noticed her return, and hurried up the path. Soon she reached her towering house. Tonight it was lit from the inside, and she could see Grady moving about in the kitchen.

She stopped there, breathing in the familiar scent of home. She loved helping the Council-- it gave her something to do-- but she would always belong at Havenfield.

If only Jolie was...

No. She wouldn't finish that thought. It was her and Grady's decision to send Jolie off to the Silver Tower. That was back when they were still questioning Jolie's loyalty to Brant. Now there was no denying she was in love.

It was just... Edaline had never imagined her daughter's life to go this way.

"Eda!" Grady called, and she snapped out of her thoughts.

Goodness. She was distracted today. Maybe it was because Jolie was visiting tomorrow.

She met Grady in front of the house and wrapped him in a hug. "I missed you, darling."

"Missed you too, Eda." He pulled away and led her inside. "How were the mermaids?"

"Same as ever. There wasn't much trouble today."

"That's good."

Edaline waited until they were in the kitchen before saying, "Councillor Bronte visited me."

"Oh? What did he want?"

"To relieve me of my duties." She watched him as he whipped up some mallowmelt. "We... talked about the Black Swan."

Grady's fingers slipped and the dish he was using crashed to the ground, cracking. Edaline rushed forward to pick up the pieces. When she straightened, Grady was staring at his fist, which was resting on the counter. A piece of glass was stuck in his skin, and a thin stream of blood ran down his knuckles.

Edaline picked out the glass and wiped away the red. "Grady."

"Mm?"

"Would you like to tell me what's going on with you and the Black Swan?"

He pulled away and sucked in a breath. "I almost forgot-- Juline decided to visit. She's upstairs, in Jolie's room."

Edaline sighed, but didn't argue. She would ask him again later that night.

So she went to climb the staircase. The second floor was quiet with Grady downstairs and Jolie... gone.

Her eyes teared up. She missed her daughter so much.

"Edaline? Is that you?" Juline's voice said from down the hall.

Edaline smiled and walked into Jolie's room, where her sister was standing. "Juline, what are you doing here?"