Chapter Thirteen | Waterfall (Part 4 of 4)

Start from the beginning

Jerry came over asking where you were, btw.

The latest message Undyne sends you prompts you to keep going, now too anxious to wait and stay in one place. You rush off, not wanting to dwell too much on it. It's a short walk to get there, only having to pass by a hallway, then the lobby, and take a turn to the right. A different world's introduced to you as soon as you step in, welcomed by a large swimming pool from afar and at the center of it all, along with two smaller hot tubs closer by. There are folding chairs and their respective tables on the left, along with a busy and bustling bar at the right, 'Happy Hour' flashing above the entrance. All the attractions are occupied with people, each doing their own thing.

Really?

What did you tell him?

Your chest tightens as you wait for an answer. An icy wind blows by, making you shudder with the current outfit you're wearing: a one-piece swimsuit bought hastily at the small souvenir shop the hotel offered for everyone around. You stay in place, still waiting for her reply.

Told him you were running errands, but he still told me to give you this when you returned.

Her next message is a picture of a gift basket with all sorts of favourites, from sweets to flowers, and even a new work uniform, each individual piece of the correct size. A letter's tucked in-between all the items and a bright red ribbon tops it all off.

He also gave Frisk something and then tried convincing them into going with him to the beach.

Your stomach twists and a sour note reaches your taste buds. Jerry's first attempt at getting back together had clearly been without him knowing Sans was hitting on you, so you're not sure whether he's making stronger efforts now that he's aware of it. Your legs grow weak the more you force yourself to keep on standing, now too anxious to move.

What did Frisk say?

They said they'd only go if you came with them, so now I think Jerry might make arrangements for the two of you to come.

"Your phone's gonna get damaged here."

At the sound of someone behind you, you jolt and your phone slips off your hands. Fortunately, it's stopped by a blue force, and so's your waist when you slip and almost trip on your feet. You're let go and turned around to see Sans changed into an outfit composed of beach shorts and a tank top. They're a little baggy on the sides, revealing the fact he's also bought them at the souvenir shop. "You okay?" he asks, furrowing his gaze.

You grab your phone back and put it away, nodding before replying with, "...I think so."

Side-by-side, you walk with him to a pair of folding chairs. There, you sit, take off your towel, and set it aside. "Jerry's still, well... trying to get back with me, I guess." A smile forms when you see the monster's gaze look away, avoiding to meet with your swimsuit more than with your eyes or anywhere else. "You can look, y'know. Or are you getting shy?"

Sans takes the towel off his shoulders and sets it next to yours. Then, he shakes his head once, still avoiding you. "Just bein' cautious." Finally, he faces you, a grin showing on his skull. "Still haven't forgotten how stern you can be, so I've gotten used to bein' careful around you."

"Really?" you taunt, snickering. You stand up and begin your walk with him to the pool. "I was thinking the opposite with how shameless your flirting's been since day one of us being more than strangers."

"There's a difference, pal." He sits on the edge, irises drifting off to the hot tubs, where a buff bunnyman and an even buffer fishman sit at. They're both hugging each other, the former resting his head on the other's chest, eyes closed shut and body relaxed. "My intention's not to insult you or make you angry."

Your smile grows; the upbeat energy of your surroundings gives you courage to challenge him again. "What are your intentions then, Sans? I'm curious."

You slip a foot into the water and a shiver follows. While you stand by for it to warm, you pay attention to the monster, expectant of an answer. Oddly enough, he doesn't confront your question and chooses to sink himself completely into the pool -- no wait needed. His irises avoid your eyes, until a few swimmers nearby move further away from your spot. "I guess I've never really done somethin' like this before. And then my brother suggested I made some new friends, so when I saw you, I kinda just went for it."

"So flirting's your way of making friends?"

Again, you're welcomed with a reaction far different from your expectations. He looks down at the water and rubs the back of his neck, a laugh -- nervous and quiet -- leaving his teeth. "...The way you confronted me back when we were at Waterfall," he begins, facing you, "it kinda took me off guard, so I went with the first thing I had in mind to try and ease out the mood."

A human toddler dives into the water, the splash that accompanies him almost reaching you despite his tiny self. That's enough to distract you and smile, though you look back to witness the skeleton's done the same thing. It's without a doubt he's trying not to confess his thoughts right now, so you give him space to back off if he wants to. "I..." He looks back to you, continuing with, "I was surprised to see you come up to me like that, pointing out faults I was aware we had, all without hesitation -- both back then and on the day we first met. So I guess you could call that me fallin' for you at first sight. You called me out on my mistakes after Jerry told you the truth about me, and you accepted yours without me even havin' the chance to say anything about it. You came over apologizin' for lettin' Frisk slip from your care, but then you also didn't exactly tolerate our own choices when you found out the, well... morally ambiguous implications behind my kinds' freedom."

You dip the rest of your body in the water and sit beside him. "So you fell for me at first sight?" you joke, nudging him. "I find that real hard to believe."

He chuckles and leans in closer. "Guess it was kinda more of an admiration I had for ya, at the beginning."

You do the same, sparing a glance at others nearby to make sure they aren't looking. "...I also recall you saying my stubbornness was hot?"

He nods, giving into another cheek kiss from your part this time -- one far more fleeting than the one shared at your bedroom. "Very."

The two of you back away as quickly as that moment lasts, avoiding PDA at all costs -- not only for the younger ones around, but for the current state of your relationship, and what that implies. You'd already crossed plenty of the lines and limits you'd set for yourself in terms of dating. Even the simple act of having accepted his invitation is enough to surpass them all. "I'm... I'm sorry I can't make this a serious thing," you say, looking aside. "Maybe you said it was okay to have only one date, but I... I guess it doesn't exactly feel right for me to lead you on like this."

The monster pulls you against him, giving you a hug from behind. "See what I mean, pal?" He's the one teasing you now, hands tickling your waist with how careful his movements are. "You're doin' it again."

To defend yourself, you take Sans's hands, push him away, and bring him down into the water, concluding the feat with a laugh.

Proud, you turn around -- expecting to see him drenched and unamused -- yet what you receive is prompt payback for your actions. His magic grabs your wrist, pulling you in with him. You close your eyes tight in defense, and the sensation of slow sinking is soon interrupted by you bumping right into him.

He helps you stay afloat, though you're unable to see him, water drops clouding your vision.

"Karma," he reminds you, chuckling as you both make it safe out of the pool.