Chapter 2: "First official Practice"

Its been about a month since the new girl moved in. Her name is Rayna she seems pretty nice I guess. Today was the first official hockey practice of the season and I was super excited to get out there.

I woke up at around 5:00 am to get ready. I went downstairs and grabbed a protein bar and put on my roller blades. I was out the door at about 5:30. I skated to Charlies apartment first and then me and Charlie went to pickup the other ducks. Once we rounded up everyone we headed to Eden Hall High. All the ducks including me were offered fully paid scholarships this year. We finally reached the school entering through the rink entrance.

Coach Bombay wasn't coaching us this year which sucked but Charlie took it more to heart than the rest of us. I kind of feel bad for Charlie. I mean coach Bombay was the closest thing to a father that he had besides my dad. Every once in a while Charlie will just vent about how he feels about his dad which I honestly don't mind it because I care about him.

We entered the rink for the first time and the first thing that came to mind was how big it was. "Woah this place is huge." I said in amazement. "Hell yeah it is." Averman stated looking around in awe. "Hey guys, what do you think the new coach is gonna be like?" Charlie asked. "I don't know but I hope he's at least half the coach Bombay was to us." I said reassuringly.

We ended up playing around while waiting for our new coach. Dwayne chased everyone around with a lasso and we all tried to not get roped in. It was all fun and games until the new coach caught us mid game. He got pretty mad at us but especially at Charlie. Our new coaches name was Coach Orion and he was really strict compared to Coach Bombay. Charlie got into nothing but trouble the entire practice but, I being a good friend backed Charlie up on a lot of things. After practice Charlie was super upset and I could tell.

A couple minutes later Coach Orion walked into the room and posted the roster on the wall. I walked up to the piece of paper and was confused cause I didn't see me or banks on the roster. "Hey Banks we aren't even on the roster." I said confused. "Wait what that makes no sense." Adam said with confusion. Connie walked up to the paper to take a closer look. "Yeah you guys are on the roster see, Adam banks first line left wing Varsity. Hayden Glayde first line Center Varsity." Connie said. Me and Adam looked at each other with confusion "We made Varsity?" we both said in unison. I looked over at Charlie and he just looked upset and really sad.

Later that day we got assigned a bunch of homework. I still hadn't got the chance to talk to Charlie about making varsity. Ring...... Ring.....Ring, the bell rang pulling me out of my thoughts. I saw Charlie in the hallway so I was going to go over to talk to him, until I saw him flirting with the new girl. My heart felt like it shattered into a million pieces. Charlie must've seen me cause he was starting to head over my way. I just started to speed walk the other way.

As I was speed walking I bumped into a familiar face, Adam Banks. "I'm so sorry about that I wasn't paying attention." I said frantically. Adam giggled at me a little. " Its ok don't worry about its not that big of a deal." Adam said smiling. "Hey you seem uneasy are you ok?" Adam asked concerned. "Uh if I'm being being honest I'm not that great. I kind of like this guy and I just saw him flirting with the new girl Rayna." I said looking down. "Lemme guess, you like spazway don't you?" Adam asked smirking. "Is it that obvious?" I asked. "Well either your not obvious enough or Charlie is completely clueless, either way he has no idea you like him." Adam stated. "Well what should I do? I don't wanna tell him I like him because then what if he doesn't like me back then what? That's the end of our friendship?" I said. "Listen I'm not gonna tell you what to do, but I think you should just tell him. If I were you I'd take that chance, but if your still too nervous I can talk to him for you." Adam said reassuringly. "You would do that for me?" I asked with a smile. "Yeah of course I would, that's what friends do." Adam said with a smile. "Alright well im gonna go. I think we both have a ton of homework after today." I stated. "Uh yeah. I'll see you at varsity practice tomorrow." Adam said smiling as he waved goodbye. "Uh yeah see ya tomorrow." is said as I walked away.

I walked home and got started on my homework when I got a text from Charlie. I Decided to just ignore it cause I had a lot of homework and I wasn't really in the mood for another heart break. Later that night as I got ready for bed Charlie texted me 10 more times but I ignored all of them because I didn't feel like talking to him. I knew he was getting worried so I just quickly texted him goodnight without reading the other texts. My eyes grew more tired as I finished up the 5th chapter of "To Kill A Mocking Bird" and eventually I fell asleep.