Chapter Twenty-Two: An Invaluable Ally

Start from the beginning

Franny stopped for a second to let her words hang in the air. She has learnt from her aunt that a pinch of dramatics always enhances the message. Franny noticed that Penelope's undisturbed countenance somehow faltered. She was sitting on the edge of the sofa, her posture stiffened, and her eyes narrowed very slightly, suggesting that she was eager to hear what Franny was going to say.

"Before Marina, most of the gossips that reached Lady Whistledown could have been picked up by anyone who took part in the events of the ton. Someone with great observational skills, no doubt, but the scandals were always whispered around, even if no one dared to articulate them. Moreover, Lady Whistledown has also a great talent for telling gossip and fact apart, which once again attest to her intelligence, but going further away to her fair spirit also. I have always felt a touch of social justice in her voice but correct me if I am mistaken. Albeit, poor Daphne Bridgerton has never hurt a fly in her life, so I do think she was mistreated, but let's not get caught up on details. Back to Marina, she was different, it was... personal. I doubt that anyone outside the Featherington household would have been privy to her secret. No, it was very well kept, maybe even kept from the servants, if such a thing is possible."

Penelope shifted in her seat again, and Franny suppressed a small smile. She was enjoying the tension that hung in the air, and, let's just be frank about it, showing off. However, she reminded herself that she needed Lady Whistledown's help.

"That doesn't rule out servants," Penelope pointed out shrewdly.

"Come to think of it..., Franny replied, "it would be brilliant to operate a servant gossip network. Albeit, servants have their hands full, they would not be able to find the time to write. Not to mention they lack the means and connections to publish papers."

Penelope did not infer, so Franny continued, "I apologise, but I do not think that either Prudence or Philippa have the wits to be Lady Whistledown, and judging by the tone she writes about the Featheringtons, we can rule out Lady Featherington as well. So, clue one," Franny held up her pixie finger to illustrate her point.

"Clue two," second finger, "I noticed that in this issue Lady Whistledown suddenly started calling me Franny. I assure you, I do not give my nickname to many people, only those I like, so very few. Consequently, my aunt and uncle, who I can say with 100% confidence are not Lady Whistledown, Lord Wetherby or Benedict, males, so out of question, that leaves the Bridgertons, and you, Penelope. Now, Lady Bridgerton would be an ideal candidate, but she has her hands full with playing wingwoman to her children, and I have mentioned before Daphne's not so welcoming portrayal in the so-called Society Papers. Eloise, however brilliant she is, definitely is not Lady Whistledown, even if her committed chase to reveal her identity would be a great cover story. Hyacinth, who I am sure will be a force to be reckoned with, is too young. That leaves you, Penelope."

Penelope chuckled lightly, "Your name is not exactly a secret, Franny. Any of these people could have mentioned it to someone, thus giving it away."

"That could be true, Penelope," Franny retorted, secretly enjoying this war of wits, "but as I have said, I do keep my nickname to myself. Lady Whistledown insisted on calling me Frances Granville throughout the whole season, only with the exception of the latest issue. Now, she must have thought that she was only late to the party of finding out my nickname, which was perfectly sensible of her, after all, who would keep their nickname a secret? I, however, do," she made her point, but Penelope was still wearing that little, unconvinced smile of hers.

"Very well, let's move on to clue three," another finger held up, "Colin."

Penelope's chest rose almost imperceptibly, but enough for Franny to pick up on it. She suspected that this was the point that would finally lay her case.