2

Blake’s grinning again, one hand in pocket. He shakes his head. “Okay, so maybe you know your country a little better than I give you credit for. But I’ve shown you what I got, you gonna return the favor?”

Blake watches the way Adam’s cheeks dimple, his cheekbones more prominent than usual, if it was even possible.

Adam raises his hands in mock surrender. “Alright, alright,” He grins innocently as he picks up a different guitar, a Gibson, more worn than either of the other two acoustics, slipping beneath the strap and grabbing a pick from the mantelpiece.

Blake waits patiently for him to check the tuning is decent, and then he sits down on the couch, Adam taking the one opposite as he begins to play.

Blake purposefully doesn’t focus on Adam’s fingers. He leans back on the cushions, listens to the gentle riff that begins the song, the way it gradually develops into something a little fuller, and then is determined not to show his complete surprise when the guy starts singing. Carson had mentioned it, Blake had asked Adam about it, and Adam had ignored him. They haven’t really touched on it since.

Beauty queen of only eighteen
She had some trouble with herself
He was always there to help her
She always belonged to someone else

His voice is kind of unique. It’s actually kind of girly, with a sweet falsetto and high pitch to begin with. Blake doesn’t fight the small smile that forces onto his lips, hopes that Adam will be too absorbed to notice.

I drove for miles and miles
And wound up at your door
I’ve had you so many times but somehow
I want more.

Blake risks a glance across at him, finds Adam with his eyes closed and still strumming, fingers moving expertly around the instrument. He looks relaxed, like he’s comfortable with what he’s doing, like he’d be perfectly at home on a sold-out tour.

I don’t mind spending every day
Out on our corner in the pouring rain
Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay a while
And she will be loved
She will be loved.

The music quiets for a few more chords, and then stops. When Blake looks up again, Adam is smiling, looking kind of shy and self-conscious. And fucking hell who is Blake kidding, he has definitely got the face to go into music. Certainly has the voice for it, too.

Blake nods his head. “It’s seriously nice, man.”

Adam shrugs. “I dunno. It’s all I got for the moment, though.”

Blake nods, wonders if he’s delving into dangerous territory by mentioning this. “Straight lyrics though. That mean…” Blake doesn’t finish the sentence, he doesn’t really want to. His motive for asking is already muddy, seeing as Adam is bisexual and not gay.

Adam looks away from his gaze and then back again. He bites his lower lip, seems to contemplate for a short second whether or not to lie, and then he shakes his head. “No. Nope, I am bi.” Another shrug. “I just figure, y’know, in the unlikely event that this music thing does go somewhere, straight lyrics are gonna be more marketable. Some of the stuff I’ve written is gender neutral, but I don’t know, didn’t really fit with that one.” He fiddles with the guitar a moment, then meets Blake’s gaze again. His hazel eyes have gone a little electric, and he looks more vulnerable than Blake has noticed before.

Blake has no idea why the fuck he’s even noticing these things. Except that he is.

“I never asked you,” Adam says, “but you didn’t mention that to anyone?”