3

"Bunny!" I hear Romeo call my nickname from the kitchen, "Will come here for a second?"

I furrow my eyebrows but get off the bed and follow the sound of his voice, "What is it my love?" I ask cheerfully with a smile on my face.

He gives a small peck to my forehead and looks down at me, "I'm sorry for how I've been lately, there's no excuse for it and I promise I will be a better man. Unfortunately though I have to go to LA for work, I'm going to be gone for a few days." He rubs my arms up and down, "I'd love to take you with me, but the school year just started and I don't want you to miss anything. Will you be okay without me?"

He's always so caring of my feelings, "Of course baby, plus you know the first few days of school are always so busy anyways so it'll be good! How many days are you going to be gone?" My voice is softer at the end. I really don't want him to leave, I get anxious when he's away but it's for work.

"Just a couple days, maybe 3, I will text you and call you to keep you updated though princess." He pulls me by my hips, "But you should remind me why I should come home to you." He says in a mere whisper bitting his lip. He leans down and gives me a deep kiss, pushing my body to the bedroom.

☆☆☆

After saying goodbye to Romeo I head over to Ruby's. On my way over I see the familiar cherry red impala slowing down beside me, rolling my eyes I stop walking.

Oscar opens the driver door and makes his way over to were I am, leaning against his car, "What was with that bruise the other day?" His voice is gruff and I can see slight anger in his eyes.

I sigh, "Quite frankly Oscar, it's absolutely none of your concern." I maintain eye contact with him.

"How's Romeo? He get those anger management classes yet?" He lights up a cigarette and takes a long drag.

"Also not your concern Oscar. Anything and anyone involving my life stopped being your concern when you decided to stop talking to me. And I quote, "Loretta you need to grow up and figure out how to take care of yourself, I'm not your hero" sound familiar?" I ask narrowing my eyes and crossing my arms over my chest.

He sucks his teeth, "Alright, I fucked up. I'm not your hero but I promised Miguel I would always look after you. And whether you want to talk about it or not, the situation you're in right now isn't going to have some fairy tale ending." He bends down to have more direct eye contact with me, "He's going to hurt you really bad one day. I promise I'm a safe place to come to, okay?" His voice is soft, and his eyes full of concern now.

My eyes grow softer, deep down I know he's right but I can't leave Romeo until I'm ready, or I'll just go back. "Okay." And a nod is all I'm able to respond with. He stands straight again, throws his cigarette and gets back in his car. As I watch his car disappear I remember what Miguel told me when I was little, "If you ever need help and I'm not there don't trust anyone but Oscar."

Miguel was my big brother, him and Oscar were the same age, he got killed a few months before Oscar got locked up, something gang related. When he died, a part of me died with him. He was my best friend, my confidant, my protector, he was what Oscar is to Ceaser.

I shuffle my feet against the ground as I walk up Ruby's drive way, Ceaser storms out the house and ignores me when I call for him. I huff and walked through the door, "What happened to the plan?"