Back Home

"I'm coming home. I'm coming home. Tell mama we are coming home! Don't want to be hurt anymore! We are coming back home!"

My name is Marinette Todd. I grew up with my brother in a city. This city was different from most. It was trapped in the past. We still used horses to go from place to place and thought Heaven was in the clouds. It was just like Babylon.

My brother, Jason, and I were pickpockets. We would run around the city and steal jewels from people and friend's parents. Of course, we never considered any of them to be friends. They were just used to help us get more money.

We would take what we stole and bring it to a pawn shop far from the city. About 5 miles out. Using a stolen horse. We would ride until we reached another city called Gotham. There, we would sell all of the goods we got to a pawn shop.

Baghsburgh City, where we live, is rich in gold and diamonds. We sold those and made lots of money. That money was used to help our parents and grandparents. Whatever we had left over was put into our savings. We planned on using it to get out of our bygone city and start a life in Gotham.

We knew that Gotham wasn't the safest, but we need a more modern life. One day, Jason stole the most valuable thing a person can find. The jewel of the emperor. Yes, we still have an emperor. We sold that and got 1 billion dollars. We put that into savings and decided that maybe we owe something to Baghsburgh for a change.

We were getting ready to steal wheels off of an expensive car, and then, the owner caught us. He was tall and scary. He had on a mask and a cape. We were frightened. The money we saved was kept on a credit card that I kept around my neck, behind my shirt at all times.

He told us that he wanted to know where our parents were and we lied. We said they died years ago and that we were trying to sell stuff for money to make a living.

He took us home and treated us as family. I was only 14 and Jason was 18 at the time but the age difference didn't matter because we were both the same maturity.

"Ok, Mari. If you had one wish, what would it be?" We were in the courtyard, training to be Robin and Red Baton.

"I wish to have a better training partner. You are really easy to defeat."

"Come on. I beat you every time."

"Liar! I win almost every time we spar. You won last night because I didn't have enough coffee." Coffee is my main crutch.

"For real. What is your wish?"

"I want to go to public school with you." He stopped fighting me. "What's wrong?"

"That's what you want?"

"Yeah, I need to meet more people. I want to interact with kids my age. You and Dick are not fun at all."

"If you want to go to school, I will get Bruce to take you."

"Really? You're the best brother anyone could ask for!" And I meant it.

"I know, I know. Let me talk to him."

In the morning...

"Mare, wake up."

"It's 8:30! I'm nocturnal! I sleep until 3:00 and go to bed at 7:30! I only got an hour of sleep!"

"Just drink an extra pot of coffee."

"No, I'm going back to bed."

"Huh, I thought you would be excited to go to school." I shot out of bed and rushed downstairs. Alfred already made me 2 pots of coffee. How thoughtful.