I. A Suspicious Job

Start from the beginning

The other voice, very much sounding old, spoke again. "Honestly, it takes you two days to run the structural analysis... Yet somehow you can gauge the profits in an instant?" The Titan lifted his head and moved his neck to look at Rex.

"Don't go rainin' on my parade, Gramps. You know, I'm in the salvaging trade for the cash! A little business sense goes a long way, all.. right?" He managed to pry the container but was startled back as a creature came out of the container. "Whoa!"

Rex backed up before he spoke again, "I didn't expect THAT! You've been living in this thing, big guy?" The thing lunged at him, but he managed to dodge in time.

"Rex!" The Titan called out, worry evident in his tone.

"No worries, Gramps!" Rex responded before running into the small hut and grabbing his junk sword.

"Need any help?" Regan asked, but the boy shook his head.

"Nah, I got this. I guess we know what's for lunch!" He said, and Regan nodded. Despite her seemingly easy acceptance of it, she still clutched her bow tightly just in case. Luckily, she did not end up needing to fire off a single shot.

"Ahh, the brazier does my wary old bones such good..." The Titan said as Rex started cooking part of the King Crustip.

"You want me to move it, Gramps?"

"No, no... Leave right there.. ahh..." Rex smiled at that before looking over as Regan sat down next to the brazier.

"You want any?" He asked, and he looked behind Regan as Eva once again perched herself on her driver's shoulder.

"Not really." She responded, a look of disgust passing over her expression.

"Oh, right... Elves don't eat this kind of stuff, do they?"

The elf nodded, "We do eat meat but not stuff like the King Crustip."

Rex seemed to ponder that for a moment. "Man, you are certainly missin' out. This kind of stuff is delicious. Say, Reg, what are you are gonna eat then?" The question made her pause in her movement of running a hand through her hair.

"Well, I stocked up on some food last time we went to Argentum."

"I see." He said before he got up and started putting away some of the salvage that he had gathered. After he was done, he came back to check on the meat. "Alright, yum!" He said as he realized that it was done cooking. Grabbing it off the brazier, he took a bite of it and another. Rex was about to take another bite, but a strange and loud sound interrupted him.

He set the meat down before he stood up and looked in the direction that the noise came from. A titan, a good-sized one, became visible to them for only a moment before it suddenly fell down and did not come back from the cloud sea. "Whoa..." Regan muttered quietly to herself, as she came to the realization of what had just happened. She stumbled slightly as the impact caused a harsh wind to blow clouds from the cloud sea at them.

"That's another. Happening a lot more now." Rex said.

"Hmm... More so than before." The titan said in response, his eyes moving away from where the other titan had fallen and to Rex.

"Hey, Gramps.. do you think Fonsett Village will be gone too one day?" The titan let out a sigh before responding.

"It will not be today, nor will it be tomorrow... But yes, one day it will fall."

"One day, there'll be nowhere left to live."

"Sadly... That's how it goes with us Titans."

"Hey Gramps.. you Titans were born up there, right?" Rex pointed towards the World Tree, "So they say, for what it's worth. Mind you, I was born here on Alrest." Rex stared at the World Tree for a moment, before the Titanspoke again. "As for my ancestors, who could say where they were born?"