Chapter 7: New Faces

After they got back to pride rock, the two couples parted ways. Kion and Tiifu went back to their cave while Kovu and Kiara went back to the royal den where Zazu is waiting for them. He has news to tell the King and Queen.

"Ah, your Majesties. There's something I need to tell you," said Zazu.

"What's going on?" Kovu asked.

"A hyena matriarch wants to speak with the both of you," he informed.

"What does she want with us?" Asked Kiara.

"She didn't tell me. But she requested you two to meet her near the border that leads to the elephant graveyard,"

"Thanks, Zazu. We'll be on our way," Said Kovu as he and Kiara ran out of the royal den, down the slopes, and into the ground below to take care of some business.

While they were running, Kovu was feeling anxious about having Kiara come with him on their tasks while pregnant with the pride lands' future heir. Even Simba himself gets nervous about Kiara joining Kovu when they do their tasks for the kingdom, but Nala had assured him that she'd be fine and knows how to take care of herself since she's a fully grown lioness and not a cub anymore.

But Kiara had told them that she'd sit this one out when she gets 2 months pregnant. This made her family and pride feel relieved since they don't want anything to happen to their Queen. But she can only go to the watering hole like the other pregnant lionesses.

Once Kovu and Kiara made it to the border that leads to the elephant graveyard, they spotted the hyena matriarch standing near the exit of the elephant graveyard.

The matriarch's name is Jamya. Jamya has dark grey fur with a pale muzzle and underbelly with a black hair tuft covering half of her left eye and has her mane go down from the back of her neck like all the hyenas in her clan. Her tail, paws, nose, and ears are black, and she has two small nicks in her two ears and an x-shaped scar on her chest with lime green eyes and light grey eyeshades.

Kovu and Kiara eyed her suspiciously, "What are you doing in the pride lands?" Kiara asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Greetings, your majesties," she greeted, "My name is Jamya, and I'm the hyena matriarch of my clan. And you must be Kovu and Kiara, the King and Queen of the pride lands."

"Yes, that's true. Everyone knows who we are," Kovu replied, "But you haven't answered our question. What are you doing here, and what do you want from us?"

"My apologies, your majesty. My clan and I have been living in the elephant graveyard for a long time, and we haven't had anything to eat. Some of my hyenas had died from starvation, and some mothers who had given birth had either had a stillborn, or they were born prematurely from the lack of nutrition." She explained.

"I'm terribly sorry to hear that, Jamya," said Kiara with remorse.

"It's ok. And I understand if you don't want any hyenas in your lands since Scar took over the kingdom years before I was born. I'll leave then," she turned around to go back towards the elephant graveyard but was stopped by Kovu.

"Wait! Don't go!" He cried out, stopping Jamya. "You don't seem like those other hyenas who cause trouble."

She walked back over towards the King and Queen and sat down, "No, we're not. So you see... Our clan used to be large when Scar took over as King. The clan was evil and did everything that Scar had told them to do. Once he had betrayed them, they killed him and ran off somewhere while some had died from the battle that happened when Simba returned to reclaim the throne," she narrated, "Since they made it back to the elephant graveyard, they've split up. Half of them wanted to live somewhere else while the others wanted to get revenge on Simba and his pride for taking what's theirs away from them. The first half of hyenas had deeply regretted siding up with Scar, so they left the other half of the clan who was holding grudges against Scar for betraying them and Simba for taking away what's theirs.