Chapter 27

Much to everyone's surprise, it was Hatti who finally managed to get Endolynn to wake up from her daze.

Endolynn was sitting on the sofa by the stained-glass window as usual when Dastrehan let a determined Hatti into his sitting room.
"I brought you a visitor, Alys," he called gently across the room to her.
She did not reply.

He gave Hatti a half-hearted smile to encourage her before he left for his study, leaving them alone.

"Goodness Child," Hatti exclaimed, approaching Endolynn slowly, "After I put all that effort into you, you have gone and wasted away."

The comment about her rapidly decreasing weight bounced off of her.

No appetite, she answered Hatti in her head.

Hatti waited for a moment, standing a few feet form the sofa as she watched the young princess.
"You have got that young king of yours worried sick."

Endolynn made no reply.

Hatti kept her voice kind as she tried a few more comments or questions, but Endolynn did not even acknowledge her.

Without asking permission, Hattie retrieved a brush that was sitting unused on a nearby table and started to brush the tangles in Endolynn's that had been left too long.

She chatted while she worked, but there was never a reply.

After Hatti and finished brushing out and braiding Endolynn's long dark curls, she came to sit on the sofa to that she was facing her.
"Now you look here," Hatti said with an edge that Endolynn would have thought her uncapable of.
Though startled, Endolynn ignored her.
"I did not risk my family and leave my home to have you fall to pieces and become a mute."

That shocked her enough to get her to finally turn her head and look at the older woman.
Hatti gave her a stern, serious expression. There even seemed to be a hint of anger on her face.
"What?"

"You heard me. I gave too much for you to waste your life like this."

A small wave of guilt started to chip away at the numbness that had consumed Endolynn's body.

She had not thought of it that way.
Still, it was easier said than done. Sure, Hatti had risked and lost a lot. But she still had her family alive.
"You do not know what it is like." Endolynn said evenly, refusing to be scolded for her sorrow.
"I do not," Hatti agreed, meeting Endolynn's gaze, "But I know that you can beat this. You have to, Dear. Do not let your father's death ruin the rest of your life. He would not want that."

With that, Hatti stood and exited the room, leaving Endolynn alone with her churning thoughts.

Dastrehan almost choked on his drink when Endolynn entered the small dining room that he was eating in by himself later that day.

"May I join you?" She asked, pausing in the doorway while Dastrehan cleared his throat and recovered.

"Of course," his voice was scratchy but eager, "I will have someone fetch you some food."

Endolynn moved to a chair across from him.
Dastrehan called for a servant and asked for a second meal to be brought. The servant glanced at Endolynn, obviously surprised to see her out and about again. Add to that the fact that Endolynn had her hair down in true Balearian style; much unlike how she had worn it while living in the palace as Alys. To the palace servants who had known her, she must look very different.
Endolynn ignored her.
"How are you feeling?" Dastrehan asked once the servant had left.
"Tired," Endolynn said as she forced a smile, "But I think it will get better."