03: ask before you kiss me

Start from the beginning

~~~

"Hey Yeonjun," Taehyun turned to Yeonjun who was changing into his P.E. uniform next to him.
"'Sup?" Yeonjun replied.
"Why does Y/N hate you?" he asked. It had been bugging Taehyun for a while now. Disliking Yeonjun was pretty abnormal. Maybe if you're an outcast who's jealous of people with friends, it would make sense. But Y/N was quite popular herself. Not in the way where she had a ton of friends, was liked by everyone, or had lots of social media followers; she didn't even have social media. She was popular in the way where everyone knew her. There wasn't a single person in the school who didn't know about the spontaneous lunatic Y/N. So why would she hate him? Yeonjun is kind, and she seems to like kind people, Taehyun would think.
"You really wanna know?" Yeonjun said with a theatrical sad face.
"Just get to it," Taehyun rolled his eyes, knowing that he was about to go into a dramatic monologue. Yeonjun sat down on the locker room bench.
"Well, after you and I our ways, I came to the academy in freshman year, where I first met Y/N," he said. Taehyun sat down next to him, hands gripping underneath the bench.
"And let me tell you, she was much different," Yeonjun said.
"Really?" Taehyun was surprised.
"Yeah, she was wild back then, but now, she's what I would call looney," Yeonjun said.
"She wasn't scared to stand up to someone if they did her or someone else wrong," he said.
"She was actually just as violent then as she is now," Yeonjun continued.
"But what was different was that she had restraints," he said. Restraints? Taehyun raised an eyebrow.
"Now, she just does anything without thinking because her mind tells her too, but then, she would try to think through things clearly,"
"I'm sure you noticed 'cause you helped her catch Mr. Park, but she's pretty smart,"
"She still gets mid-high scores on the student leaderboard, and she's crafty," he said.
"She was, less oblivious too, she mostly functioned like everyone else basically," Yeonjun said. Really? It's kind of weird to imagine Y/N acting like a normal girl, or, a normal person at that, Taehyun thought.
"And well, I used to have a crush on her," Yeonjun said.
"Huh?!" Taehyun was surprised he dropped that info out of nowhere.
"Yeah, we probably would've dated if I hadn't messed up," Yeonjun sighed.
"Messed up? How?" Taehyun was now invested.
"Well, we used to be in the same friend group in freshman year," Yeonjun leaned back.
"I was popular, she was popular, and we both had built up like a flirty vibe," Yeonjun smiled.
"Build...flirty...vibe?" Taehyun was lost.
"The tension around us was flirtatious a lot of the time, there, is that better?" Yeonjun poked at Taehyun. Taehyun nodded.
"Anyways, our friend group decided that one day, we should all go to a karaoke room after school," Yeonjun told him.
"And once we got there, the girls and the guys of our friend group were in the same room together, but we sort of split up," he explained.
"I remember the girls were talking by the front end of the room, by the projector screen, and we were sitting on the couches," he said.
"Well, the dudes started playing truth or dare, and they asked me if I liked Y/N when I picked truth," he said.
"And so my next turn, I picked dare," Yeonjun sighed.
"And they dared me to go kiss her," he said.
"Oh?" Taehyun was fully immersed in his story.
"I don't know, I thought that because she basically liked me too, it would be fine," Yeonjun's tone was changing.
"So I brought her out to the hall, and if course everyone was spying on us," Yeonjun said. Taehyun was biting his lip in suspense.
"And so, I ki- no, I pecked her, it was very light and quick because I was nervous," Yeonjun began over-explaining.
"I get it," Taehyun said.
"And we heard all of them laughing from the door," Yeonjun's voice sounded defeated.
"After a minute, she just left, she never said anything, I was really confused," Yeonjun said.
"Wow," Taehyun stood up.
"No, I'm not done," he dragged Taehyun back down to the bench.
"The next day, I saw her in the morning and I ran over to her,"
"And immediately, she slapped me across the face," he sighed. Surprised she didn't do it sooner, Taehyun thought.
"And then she yelled at me and said that she thought I was better than the others or something? I don't really know what she meant," Yeonjun said.
"Basically, she finished yelling at me and then never spoke to anyone in the friend group again," Yeonjun said.
"It was a toxic friend group, to be honest, and so not long after that we all fell apart,"
"But after that day she never talked to any of us, she basically became another quiet kid until the next year," Yeonjun said.
"Dang," Taehyun was surprised. All over a kiss? he thought.
"What made her not be a quiet kid?" Taehyun was interested.
"You should go ask her that," Yeonjun stood up.
"Then why are you still trying to be her friend?" Taehyun asked as he stood up.
"I want to make it up to her, I wanna prove that I've changed," Yeonjun said.
"Do you still like her?" Taehyun asked.
"A little...what, do you like her?!" Yeonjun smiled, throwing his arm around Taehyun.
"What? No!" Taehyun winced.
"I'm just playing with you," Yeonjun laughed. A little, huh.