* 3 *

Toadobuki didn't seem to see Birdonna as a threat. After he untied her, he zoomed into the kitchen and whipped up a steaming meal of spicy Japanese food. It was even better than the stuff sold in the restaurants of Sarasaland, all because it was made by the hand of a genuine Japanese toad. 

"I suppose introductions are in order," Toadobuki said as they sat down to eat in the dojo's outdoor dining area. It featured a low table where the diners knelt to eat, surrounded on all sides by the dojo's koi fish pond. It was a fantastic day to eat outside: the sun was bright, the air crisp and fresh, and the pond smelled lovely.  

But Daisy would have enjoyed it more if she weren't sitting beside an intruder that had attacked them in their own home. Said intruder was currently stuffing her face with fried rice. 

"This is Birdonna," Toadobuki said as his hand flicked out and snatched up a piece of fish from the center plate, "she was the last student I had before you, Daisy." 

"Oh, really?" Daisy was concentrating on picking up a piece of Mongolian beef with her chopsticks. 

Toadobuki nodded. "Unfortunately, she only decided to stay under my tutelage for three weeks." 

Birdonna slammed down her bowl. Grains of rice speckled her large, round mouth. "Shut it, old geezer!" she snapped as she reached for some sushi rolls. "I had no choice but to leave you - after what you did to me!" 

"Hm?" Daisy gazed at the old toad expectantly.  

"What exactly did I do to you, Birdonna?" Toadobuki asked.  

"You shamed me! In front of my entire village!" Birdonna squeaked around a mouthful of sushi rolls. 

"I did nothing of the sort," Toadobuki huffed. "I was simply demonstrating that your village's form of martial arts can be countered in a variety of ways by the conventional forms. I just wanted to show them that they should not stick with a form that has so many weaknesses." 

"Aha!" Birdonna pointed her chopsticks at the old man. "So you admit it! You wanted to convert us!" 

Toadobuki scowled. "Birdonna!" 

"Convert you from what?" Daisy asked. 

Birdonna glared at the girl. "So I've decided that instead of eliminating your new student in revenge..." The Birdo stood and pointed a blue finger at Daisy. "I shall corrupt her instead!" 

Daisy scooted back. "Whoa, wait. Corrupt?" What was Birdonna talking about? 

"Meet me down by the old creek tomorrow at sunrise," the Birdo commanded Daisy. 

"Whoa, wait a second!" Daisy said, getting to her feet. "Who do you think you're ordering around, shortie?" 

Birdonna was furious. She spat a large egg out of her mouth and set it on the table. "EGG BOMB!" she yelled. 

"Gwah!" Daisy squealed as she and Toadobuki dove into the koi pond. Above them, a loud BOOM! rattled some rocks lining the bottom of the pond. Daisy and the old toad resurfaced a second later, gasping for air. Daisy spotted Birdonna swinging through the trees using a ribbon. She disappeared down the hill. 

"Hey!" Daisy yelled, angrily punching the air. "Get back here, you!" 

"Leave her, Daisy," Toadobuki instructed. He had climbed out of the pond and was staring at the table. Daisy crawled out and joined him. Their food had been burned to smithereens.  

"What was that all about?" Daisy snapped. "What's with her?" 

"I haven't a clue," Toadobuki said innocently. He began gathering up the plates. "But I suggest that you do as she says and meet up with her tomorrow. You might not like the consequences if you don't." 

Daisy cracked her knuckles. "She's not going to like it even if I do show up," she growled. She wasn't mad about Birdonna making silly demands and then running off. She was mad that Birdonna had the audacity to blow up their meal.  

You didn't burn Japanese food. It just wasn't right!