Smile

Mark Masa

That slap and punch hurts like f*cking hell! Damn it!

"Ow!" I cried out in pain as I tried to touch my lower lip. I was bending at my friend's car side mirror trying to get a better view of my swollen face. We were still outside that club where the drama occured earlier. There were still people who look our way and whispered about what just happened, throwing me rude glances and gestures.

Way to go Masa! You've made quite a reputation at your first day in this city!

"Are you trying to look at your face and stand there all night long you stupid Ai Mark!" James yelled at me as he starts his car engine. He glared at those who were eyeing us maliciously.

"You still look handsome Khun Chai. Now get in the car before that ganster comes out and start attacking you again!" Win opened the back door for me to get in.

"I'm not afraid of those two idiotic humans." I pouted to my two bestfriends before getting in James' car. I'm referring to that girl and his cousin back in the club. Those moronic and barbaric pair! How did their parents raised them that both handled a confrontation with violence? One slapped me and the other gave a punch! Unbelievable!

I'm the type of person that hated violence so much. The idea of inflicting pain revolts me. You can say I'm a softie and it doesn't bother me. I dealt with my problems passively. I just smile and wave to those who hates me. Yeah, like those penguins. I believe that would bring them to the brink of annoyance which was always so amusing to watch. I may look calm in the outside, but in my mind you have been slaughtered already.

Yet here I am, a victim of not just one, but two blows in a single night. I really hated those two.

That girl claimed I flirted with his boyfriend. I can't even recall the name of the poor boy. He must be younger than me that he wasn't able to secure a spot in my memory.

I am open with my sexual preference for years now. I like and dated guys. I prefer the cute ones but must not be younger than me. I like to cuddle and be romantic with my cute boyfriends. My parents opposed to this especially my dad. But what can they do? My dad is always busy with work that he has no time to lecture and be angry with my sexuality. Mom doesn't want it too but is always there to support me. She said she just wants me to be happy with whatever I may choose for myself.

I chose a university far from my home town to get more freedom as I enter college life. James and Win are my childhood bestfriends and when I told them my plans for college, they decided to follow me. I decided to take up engineering while the two enrolled in a different faculty.

Today is Friday and our first day in this province. We decided to go out and explore some night life for the semester will not be starting until Monday.

Then this happened. Ugh. It was only my first night and I already have a cut lip and swollen cheeks.

"What happened exactly Masa? Start talking!" James commanded without removing his eyes from the road. He sounds like my mom, what the hell.

Win from the front seat turned his head to stare at me waiting for an explanation.

"What? Do you guys think I deserved this? Do you agree with that girl that I'm a slut? I'm the victim here! Are you really my friends?" I said trying to make my voice really pitiful. I saw James rolled his eyes through the rearview morror. I can't help not to smile.

"Seriously Mark. Did you really not know that girl's boyfriend?" Win is never gonna give up that easily.

I tried to think harder. Pon. I now remembered the girl telling her boyfriend's name. Hmmmm. Where did I heard that name before? Argh I can't remember! Was there too many of them? Huh!