13

***Important Note: I'm not well educated on the legal side of things when it comes to the situation with/between Charlotte, Liam and Aria. I have done research but things will be incorrect in this chapter and the rest of the story regarding this matter. If somebody is more knowledgeable about this please do correct me so that I can improve this book. Thank you in advance!  ❤️ ***

Chapter Thirteen - Tightly Coiled

I freeze momentarily before calming myself down. What is he doing here? How does he even know the couple? I think to myself in confusion. Liam stands by the open bar with a group of people sipping on his drink with a brunette holding onto his arm. I'm thankful for the fact that he hasn't noticed me.

I don't realize I'm gripping onto Theo's hand so hard or that he's calling me until he forcefully makes me look up at him. His light green eyes are now intense with worry and protectiveness as he stares at me.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He murmurs softly and pulls me into his comforting embrace.

"Uh nothing...everything's alright. Where's Aria?" I look around for my daughter just to make sure she's safe. The children have been allowed back in for dessert.

"She's with my mom...look she's right there." A relieved sigh escapes me when I see her near enough for me to grab her should anything happen. "Tell me what's wrong Charlotte."

"Nothing, it's fine." I whisper before clearing my throat. "I just noticed that Liam, my ex, is here."

Instantly Theo stiffens and his eyes light up with concern. "Where?"

"By the bar with that group. He's the brunette in the grey suit." I glance in his direction before turning back to the comfort of Theo's arms.

"We can go back home if you want. We don't have to stay here Char, whatever you say." He cups my cheek and caresses my skin softly.

"No that's alright." I shake my head vehemently. "Seeing him caught me off guard for a moment that's all. Let's just enjoy the party please."

He stares at me and I smile reassuringly which causes him to nod. "I will happily take you and Aria back home if you don't feel comfortable, just let me know okay?"

"I'm fine and if I don't feel that way then you'll be the first one to know. I promise." I smile appreciatively as I press a kiss to his cheek.

I try to relax as we have our dessert but the knowledge that Liam is here doesn't sit right with me. Sighing, I thank the server who picks up my plate after I'm done before catching the children grab some more treats. Aria grins at me before running off with the supervisor and other children. Hunter goes with them this time to ensure they're back in the room before returning.

Eventually we all get up to mingle with the rest of the guests. Theo introduces me to the couple who I congratulate before meeting some of his friends and relatives. It turns out that his family tree is quite big and I struggle to remember everyone's names after I'm introduced to them.

I turn to see Elena a few feet away doing all the talking as Roman stands beside her quietly. Then my eyes lock with Liam's and after years the familiar feeling of uneasiness creeps within me. I assume he saw me at some point because his eyes don't flash in recognition as he stares at me. I do catch the dark look and flicker of annoyance in his eyes as he glances at Theo before looking back at me. Instead, I stare at him blankly before turning back to the group. But as we move around the hall I notice he's steadily making his way through the guests in my direction.