𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍ˡᵉᵗ'ˢ ᵗᵃᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵈᵉᵉᵖ ᵇʳᵉᵃᵗʰ

Start from the beginning

✦——————————✦

Calliope had never entered the Blythe house. When she had visited Gilbert to bring him the books, the girl had stayed at the door, not wanting to disturb him. 

The girl had always imagined the house as a cozy and warm place, but after Mr. Blythe's death, it didn't seem so. 

Callie found that she was anxious about having to talk to Gilbert.

She hadn't seen him since the funeral, so she didn't know exactly how Gilbert was doing. 

She knew that grieving took time, but she also hoped that the boy had cheered up a bit. She was also afraid that their somewhat improvised visit might somehow disturb the guy.

When they entered the boy's home, Callie couldn't help but be saddened. 

The place was dark and dull as if all the serenity that once ruled the house had disappeared along with the old parent. 

Gilbert seemed to have recovered a little, but Calliope knew that the wound in his heart was still fresh and would take a long time to heal.

The girls had just left the meal on the table, leaving Gilbert to analyze it. The boy felt some discomfort, not expecting the five girls to arrive. 

Izzy and Callie stood a little behind the other three, not wanting to intimidate Gilbert too much. Calliope hoped to get out of that place as soon as possible, feeling oppressed by the silence in the room.

Gilbert continued to look at every point but the girls, searching for the right words. Finally, Ruby was the first to speak, breaking the silence. "We're sorry to intrude, but we wanted you to have that". 

Diana started talking, interrupting Ruby. "We're sorry for your loss". 

Ruby continued talking, changing the subject again. 

"It's a shepherd's pie. We made it together especially for you". Ruby explained what the food they had brought to Gilbert was.

Anne had nodded at everything the two of them had said, while Izzy tried to bring Callie back to reality. 

Callie wasn't paying much attention to the conversation, being lost in her thoughts. Her mind was wandering, without a very clear middle.

A sense of pain had struck her, especially after entering the house. The girl couldn't imagine living in such an empty house. She simply couldn't think of not hearing her father's laughter, or her brother's screams, or even the dirty look her mother gave her when she said something inappropriate. 

Callie just at that moment realized what was tormenting her. Loneliness had broken her soul, butchered her mind, and torn her heart. 

Calliope wasn't used to letting her emotions get the best of her, but this time she couldn't help herself. 

Her gaze was lost on some indefinite point in the room, but her mind was placed on Gilbert.

She couldn't fully comprehend the pain the boy was feeling, but somehow she sensed it and it was destroying her.