29 • an old friend

Start from the beginning

"i'm probably not the right person to ask," i said with an almost sad tone.

"oh no, did dear old tommy break someone's heart again." he tried to cheer me up.

in high school, we used to joke about tom leaving our friend group. honestly, the joke benji just made was quite funny.

"haha, very funny benji." i rolled my eyes again.

"looks like we are here," he pulled into a parking space of a random restaurant i've never even heard of.

he quickly gets out of the car and runs over to my side so he can open the door for me.

as we walked into the restaurant and ordered, we sat at a table in the middle of the restaurant.

"so," i started, "how's your job been going?"

"you know, i didn't think i would enjoy what i do so much. now that i'm actually doing it, i love it."

"you're doing great things benji."

i'm not sure if you guys remember, but benji received a job helping women with miscarriage and pregnancies.

i'm honestly happy for benji. i remember how sad he would be when me and jack couldn't have any more children.

"how about you? how's your work?" he took a bite of his food.

"it's definitely been strange, having to practically manage the entire business in italy. i love it even more now though. i've actually managed to learn a lot there." i explained as i took the lettuce they forgot to remove from my sandwich off.

"do you think you would ever move there permanently?" benji questioned.

"well, i've definitely considered it. windsor is living there now and i get to spend time with kelly. my parents are retired now and can come see me whenever they want." i explained, "i just feel like there are more reasons to stay there than to come back here."

"wow, it sounds like you fell in love there."

"yeah, except with the place, not any people." i assured as i took another bite of my food nervously.

"i seem to find that hard to believe." benji said as he stopped eating.

"and why is that?" i argued back.

"i also know about tom living with you." he explained, and i stopped eating as well. "i had to drop something off at sharon's house and she told me."

"well, we both know sharon was never one to keep a secret." i laughed.

"i'm not going to ask you what happened, but i hope you are okay."

i mumbled out a 'thank you' as me and him threw the rest of our food away, walking out of the restaurant.

"just drive me to my parents house," i told him as we got on opposite sides of the car.

the entire car ride, we mainly just made small talk. that was until we got to my parents house.

"it was good to see you again," benji said one last time.

"you too," i responded with a smile. i got out of the car, grabbing my bags out of his back car. when i reached the front door of the house, i turned around and waved goodbye to benji one last time.

knock, knock, knock.

i could hear my mom on ther other side of the door let out a small squeak as she quickly opened the door. i laughed as she quickly pulled me into a hug.

"mom it's only been like 3 weeks-"

"and that is way too long for any mother not to see there child." she pulled away.

"yeah well try not being able to see your child for the rest of your life." i whispered to myself, and i think my mother might have heard considering the look she just gave me.

"sage!" i heard my father say excitingly as he ran as fast as he could down the stairs.

"father!" i exclaimed as i walked inside the house, pulling him into a hug.

"while you two are catching up, i'm going to go tell sharon and ashley that you are here." my mother interrupted as she walked out of the door.

while my mother was gone, me and my father did catch up.

my father didn't come to italy the last time with my mother because he was on a fishing trip with peter felton. so i honestly haven't seen him in quite a while.

our conversation was interrupted by another knock at the door.

"that must be sharon," my father said.

-------------------------------------------------------------

a/n - chile anyway...stream "hOLDing on" by tom felton on spotify 🤍