тнe вad вegιnnιng: parт one

Start from the beginning

"It looks like a list." Klaus said nervously.

"Wrong! It's a list. A list of chores. You brats probably haven't done a single chore in your temporary lives." he insulted distastefully, glaring.

"Actually, we helped do chores often." I replied, pondering why Y/n evaded Count Olaf's eye.

"Wow. Really. How wonderful!" He mocked. "Welcome to your lucky life, Baudelaires. Follow me. I will show you around, and you will later join Y/n to do chores."

𝗧𝗜𝗠𝗘 𝗦𝗞𝗜𝗣

"This is where you will sleep, orphans. Be grateful that out of all the rooms, I choose this one specifically for you." Count Olaf said. One bed stood in front of us. On the bed was the captivating girl. She was sitting but immediately stood up when the entrance opened.

"There is only one bed, and it's taken." Klaus acknowledged in uncertainty.

"Well, I also provided you with a pile of rocks," he uttered with a wicked sneer. "Any thoughts?"

Klaus scoffed lightly, "Thoughts? First off ─︎"

Hoping to protect my brother from an unpredictable man's temper, I interrupted, "─︎ First off, first impressions are often wrong."

"Ah yes. So true. For example, you may think I am a terrible person, but in some time, I hope you realize... you don't have the faintest idea." Once he knew we were extraordinarily uneasy, he abandoned us in our room with Y/n. Based on her expression, she was used to his erratic attitude.

Y/n moved away from the bed, motioning that we should take a seat. I grinned and silently thanked her, settling on the uncomfortable bed.

"It's okay, Sunny. He is gone now." I let out, attempting to reassure my baby sister. To be honest, I didn't believe my own words.

"He seems horrible. Did you see the tattoo on his ankle?" Klaus questioned.

"A tattoo isn't a sign of a wicked person." I clarified.

"Unless it's on a wicked person," Y/n mumbled with a stern voice.

"How long have you been here with him, if you don't mind me asking?" I questioned, striving to get to know the girl better.

"I honestly don't know. It's hard to keep track. I have to warn you. Whatever you do, don't make him furious. I will try my best to show you how to manage living here, but it won't be pleasant." Y/n explained.

"I ─︎ We appreciate that. I am assuming you know how we got here." I admitted, aware that our faces were plastered all over the newspapers.

"Yes, and I am sorry that happened to you. No one deserves that." she reassured. The way her words were conveyed indicated she understood how we felt.

"How did you get here?" Klaus asked curiously.

"Klaus, that question can be rude ─︎," I told my brother.

"─︎ No, it's okay. It was a fire, just like you guys. My family didn't survive, so I am the only one left." she said, trying to suppress the grief.

"We are sorry. Like you said, no one deserves that." I said in a sympathetic tone.

"Why would your parents send you here?" Y/n asked, changing the subject. "Surely, they wouldn't want you to live in an environment like this."

I sighed, "I'm sure they did not place us with the right guardian. They will sort this out. Until that happens, we will make this our home."

Suddenly, the door swung open, making Y/n back up in a corner. Count Olaf came into the room, hauling a mop and pail. We entered our grimy bathroom with toothbrushes in hand.