one, new in town

"The Price of Gold"

»»————- ♔ ————-««

The Boston air was turning cold, a brutal chilling cold that freezes one's face into an unhappy frown. It was the cold that filled Jane with worry. Emma had not contacted her since the warm chill of Autumn but now Winter was approaching and there was still no word from her.

Every single day while walking home from work Jane checked her messages, emails and the like. As she got home she checked her mailbox for letters and saw nothing. Every once in a while she stopped by Emma's apartment and heard nothing but silence on the other side of the door. But today was different, when she stopped by she heard a group of men packing up stuff into boxes while complaining.

One of the men seemed to notice her staring and shouted at her. "Hey you!" Jane pointed to herself with a questioning look to be sure that he was indeed speaking to her. "Yes you! Do you know the lady who used to live here?"

"Yes, Emma Swan, I am a..." Jane didn't know what she was to Emma anymore, if Emma was indeed her friend then she would've called her or told her that she was moving away. "We know each other."

The mover did not care about the way she paused in the middle of her sentence, "Great, can you tell me where in the hell this Storybrooke is that she wants her stuff delivered to? It's not showing up on my GPS."

He looked on as Jane pondered his question, she seemed to be wracking through many thoughts, not that he cared enough to ask what it was about, he just wanted to get the job done as fast as possible and she was the only one that could help him as he had already asked all of the neighbors.

"You're in luck, I know where that is." Jane said to the man, while a plan brew in her brain. "If you wouldn't mind I'd like to deliver the stuff myself."

"Of course I wouldn't mind!" He said before turning to the other movers who were just sitting around and shouting at then. "I can bring the boxes to your car, and then we can send you on your way."

And so he did, he and a few of his men quickly brought down the small amount of boxes and put them in her car and soon after they were gone. Jane sat in the front seat of her car and drove off.

Minutes later after the adrenaline of the growing situation wore off she realized that she had a job and a life here in Boston she couldn't just leave without saying something. "Shit." She said as she pulled to the side of the road, digging through her purse to find her phone. "Hey..." She said into the phone after finding the person she needed to call. "Mr. Fromer I think I may need to call out sick for the next few days."