And just when it seemed the Separatists were going to pull away, a well-aimed shot from a sniper droid hit Skywalker straight in the stomach.

Instantly, as he fell backwards through the smoke and blasterfire, his halo burst from his head like a ray of tarnished sunlight- a light so blinding and yet so dark flying in all directions.

To Kenobi, it felt like a piece of him had just exploded- his heart felt like it had burst. 

Without a second thought he abandoned the tanks, fled from the droids and hurtled to Skywalker's side- his name shouted on his lips so loud the nearby clones dropped their guns and held their hands to the audioreceptors on their helmets.

"ANAKIN!"

His hands found the younger man's as he told him to breathe. Hurriedly, he pulled off his tunic's layers and found the smoking hole- three inches wide and located just to the left of his navel.

"Master..." Skywalker whispered, coughing and throwing back his head.

"Shhh... don't waste a breath, dear one. I'll fix this..." Kenobi muttered, his fingertips falling over the wound. Anakin hissed, his hand squeezing his Master's as fire spread beneath his skin.

He'd not felt pain like this in a long, long time.

"Anakin, listen to me. We've not much time," Kenobi instructed, casting a glance over his shoulder. Cody and his men had arrived, and had immediately created a strong perimeter around them. Rex kneeled nearby, his helmet discarded several meters behind him and a look of grim terror etched on his face. It looked as though he'd run here, too.

Obi-Wan turned his attention back to Anakin, whose eyes were fluttering between open and closed as sweat gathered on his brow. He spoke softly, so as not to alarm his former apprentice.

"You've got to focus on our bond."

"Our bon-?"

"Yes," Kenobi cut him off. "Don't speak, Anakin. Just do as I say, alright?"

The younger one nodded, his halo still shimmering behind his head as his breaths came in short, staggered huffs.

"Focus on our bond, follow it now. You must concentrate, I know it's difficult but you must try. I'm going to do something the Council would hate..." he muttered, closing his eyes and pulling his hand from Anakin's tight grip, placing it instead on his forehead. The other one rested over his wound.

Kenobi let his breathing fall to a meditative cadence, and he let himself be aware of the force in his body. HE abandoned the battlefield, let the sound of blasts and shouting fall away from his ears, focusing only on Anakin's heartbeat beneath his fingers. He concentrated now more than he'd ever done in his life- and that was quite the statement.

He concentrated so hard he became aware of the force in himself, inside Anakin, and inside every clone on the battlefield. He was not only aware, but connected.

The connection he had to the force in that moment would have shattered the minds of ordinary men, ordinary Jedi- but not Kenobi. He'd never known, but there was a second branch to the "Chosen One" prophecy. The man beneath his fingers was destined to balance the Galaxy, but that meant being incredibly unbalanced himself- and there was another, the one who would take his hand and guide him back to shore if he ever drifted too far in either direction.

If the Chosen One fell... descended into the dark, Kenobi would be there to pull him back to his feet.

If he rose too far into the sun, his love for Obi-Wan would be there to feed his darkness.