Chapter II - Vacation Days

'What do you mean by vacation? I still have shifts to finish. I cannot just pack my bag and go like you want me to.' Tim is upset and starting to yelling to his boss.

'How long have you been here, Tim?' George straightens his back after his breathing come back to normal and start being serious.

'3 years. I've been work here for 3 years.' Tim answered.

'Have you ever had a vacation in this 3 year? I just finished talk to the administration team and got an earful about the quality life of the staff on my team. There are a lot of doctors and hospital staffs who don't take leave or vacation. Not even one day. Like you for an example, you've been here for 3 years and you never use any of the vacation day. Not even a sick day.' George explained.

'So, the admin team asked me politely to put some of the staff on leave or vacation like they supposed to be. So, I'm starting with you. All your schedule and shift will be cover by someone else.'

'but I don't need a vacation. I'm happy to come to work...' Tim tried to come up with a reason and got cut off half sentence.

'You don't want to mess with the admin team and as polite as they are with you. I still afraid of them.' George stops to change the tone. He is head of general surgeon department.

'As your boss, you have to listen and do as I say. You are going to take that vacation days and come back in two weeks. If I see you face at the hospital again, your salary will be cut by half. Are we clear?' George ended the sentence as order. So, Tim cannot resist. He still wants to work here. Two weeks is not long. He believes that this vacation will pass by in no time.

'Crystal!!'

               As everyone knows if you choose a life as medical professional like doctors, nurses or even the orderly, your life is always in constant demand and your time is not your own anymore. You work in shifts to make sure that you have enough rest and will not over work leading to mistake in malpractice or someone's death. Tim belongs to the group who choose patient over the quality of their life. He come in two hours before his shift and leave after the shift end. Sometime he would sleep in the on-call room, just to make sure that the nurse can reach him. If his patient needs him during the night.

'How the vacation going?' Elizabeth who just got off work called after learn that her brother is at his apartment on a 'vacation' from the hospital.

'Do you have idea what do you want to do in the next two weeks?' She asked.

'I'm thinking about cleaning out my room. Writing an article or watching series. Why?'

'You cannot just stayed-in and work on that list. Cleaning is work. Writing article too. Vacation is for people to relax and unwind, you know?' Elizabeth who loves traveling and enjoy the outside really want to put her hand in to the phone and rip her brother's head trough the phone.

'I already relax. I'm happy and I don't have any idea where I want to go.' Tim sighed and lay his back on the sofa with a beer in his hand while the TV showing something without a sound.

'I'm booking you a vacation. Your flight leaving tomorrow, okay? I will drop you off at the airport.' Since he does have a nice vacation for at least three year, she wanted him to go someplace nice and worth the time and money.

'but... Ellie!' Tim tries to protest but not succeed.

'No question asks, got it?'

'Okay..' Tim answered with a sigh. He's been on a vacation for only half day and he's already bored. He's always working and rest when it necessary. So, he doesn't have any hobby or things to do when he has free time because he rarely has that. On the day off, he usually does laundry, eat take out and sleep. When he wakes up it work day again. It is a cycle that no one should follow.