19 | from bad nights to worse

COFFEE

19 | from bad nights to worse

Madlyn stepped inside the empty elevator and pressed the button for her floor, tucking her hands into the pockets of her sweatpants. She stood in wait silently, resting her back against the wall behind her. After the rehearsal dinner that turned into Maddie holding a gun at her ex-fiancé, she had taken a few weeks away for herself and Lily to take a break. And here she was, her first day back, and she couldn't stop her heart from beating so rapidly from the nerves of what people were going to say when they saw her.

She forced herself out of the elevator, adjusting the bag strap over her shoulder and entering the bullpen. All eyes fell to her and the conversations continued. Maddie hated that everyone would only look at her, even if they were in the middle of a conversation. Keeping her head low, she approached her desk and set her bag down on the floor. She took a seat, resting her head in her hands.

     "You're back," Derek commented, peering over his shoulder to look at her. He turned his chair, facing Madlyn fully.

     She looked over at him and nodded her head in response. "I am," she agreed.

     "How was Texas?"

     "It was fine." Maddie adjusted her seat, turning it to her friend. "Lily wanted to stay a few days so Ros stayed longer there with her and they'll come back together in a week."

     "Glad you had a nice time," he told her with a half-smile.

     "Maddie, you're back!"

     Madlyn spun her chair around to Spencer, giving him a toothy grin. "Hi!"

     "When did you get back?" He sat on the edge of the desk beside her.

     "Last night, around midnight," she answered, giving him a smile.

     "Everybody, round table room now- Oh, Mills, you're back," Hotch noticed, catching her attention. He continued walking, waving the group after him. "Perfect, come on."

"You aren't sure whether anyone is in fact missing?" Hotch asked the detective, walking around the table.

He shook his head. "No, I am- I am sure," he disagreed, "I just can't seem to convince anyone else of it."

"But no official investigation?"

"No."

JJ walked over to beside McGee, hoping she could attempt at helping convince her team, "Sixty-three people can't be a coincidence, right?"