His mind flashed to the previous night.  What the fuck had he been thinking?  Of course it would go disastrously. 

            You’re a monster.

            David’s body shook all over as Leila’s screaming voice rang in his ears over and over.

            You’re a monster.

            You’re a monster.

            MONSTER.

            He shook his head, trying to shake the memory out of his head.  But it was already seared into his cerebral cortex, where it would stay for the rest of his life.  He had done a lot of stupid things over his life, but this was the worst.

            What. The. Hell. Had. He. Been. Thinking.

            It was the goddamn full moon.  He was a werewolf.  Werewolves were never in control during the full moon.  That was where all the nightmares came from.  Wolves going crazy and killing people?  Yeah, it happened.  Not much anymore, but it used to happen a lot more, in the older days, when Shifters were more separated from humans.  But during the full moon werewolves—most Shifters actually—were more wolf than human.  Their thoughts were in terms of prey and predator

            If he thought he had screwed things up with Leila before…well, now he really made sure she would never talk to him again.  She would probably start carrying around a gun with silver bullets and some powerful witch stuff that would kill him if he ever so much as looked at it.

            But if he could just explain to her—explain?  Explain what?  That he couldn’t help himself?  That he just wanted to wrap himself around her and breathe her wonderful scent?  That he was pretty sure he was starting to have feelings for her?  That he thought about her all the time and didn’t know why?  That when he was with the pack during the moon, all he could think about was getting back to her?  How he didn’t know her nearly as much as he wanted to.

            No, he couldn’t explain that to her.  She would just laugh at him.  Tell him it was impossible; there was no way a werewolf and a witch could ever develop feelings for each other.  They were sworn enemies from birth.  They never mingled.

            But David wanted to mingle with Leila.  She called to him, drove him crazy.  He loved her adorable scowl when he teased her, loved even more her smile, when she rarely gave them.  And her laughter…it was like angels singing to him.

            Not that she ever laughed with him, or smiled at him.  No, they were always for other people.  But one day she would smile for him and laugh at his jokes.  He was determined.  And he knew it would happen.  Aaron had told him so.

            When Aaron had first started going to the café, the pack was in outrage.  How could he be voluntarily going to a witch café, and even worse, how could he be going alone?  His dad forbade him from going, unless he went with another member of the pack.  But who would join Aaron?  They were in new territory, and these witches were dangerous.

            David had been with the rest of the pack.  Aaron was an idiot for going, even if his girl worked there. (Actually, most of the pack thought she was an idiot for working there too.)  David had wanted to stay as far away from the café as he could.  Hell, at that time, he had wanted to stay far away from everything.  His dad had just died, and no one seemed to understand his loss.  His mother just moved on with life and acted like his dad had never existed.  But then, everyone had always known his dad cared more for his mom than his mom did for his dad.  So it was just him in his misery.