Chapter 3: The Gala

Start from the beginning

"Love is for fools. You should focus on getting the avatar killed and nothing else."

I remember my father Yakone snapped those words at me as if it was yesterday. That had been the one time in Noatak's early teenage years that he had been snapped at by our father while he was flirting with a girl which had made him furious because he knew love would make us forget what he had destined us for.

"Time will fly, days will pas. But I will be with you and someday you will know. Love will bring us together." A song suddenly hit me, striking a familiar chord. I had no idea why. The voice singing wasn't my mother's nor could it belong to some other female relative since father always kept the remaining family as far away from us as possible.

'Then why is the song feeling so familiar to me? Where did I hear it before?'

I thought as I looked at my own reflection in the mirror. Like all the answers would come out of it but none came. Only a blurry image of a mother holding her baby close while singing that strange lullaby.

"Sir, the Avatar and her friends have arrived." A servant snapped me out of my thoughts as I looked at him firmly.

"And the girl I personally invited? Did she come as well?" I asked, voice stern to keep the servant from noting I was hoping she was there as well since I hadn't seen her for quite some time and I was beginning to get excited to start my fairy training with her.

"No Sir. No sign of her yet." The Servant replied before he bowed and went away to welcome the guests,. With a bowed head I walked into the main hall and smirked when I saw Korra standing next to Tenzin.

'This time you won't be able to say 'no' to me.'

I thought as I started to walk towards her. But as I did so I noticed someone else was entering. I looked at the top of the stairs and there she was, looking beautiful in a long green dress with yellow stripe in the middle. Her hair flowing behind her back with a grey and black headband in it. Carefully I walked to the end of the stairs as she carefully descended from them, smiling a little as she looked around.

"Thanks for coming, Femke. You look beautiful." I complimented her as she blushed at the compliment before she curtseyed lightly.

"Thank you." She smiled just a slow music tune started to play and I knew I should be trying to get Korra to join my task force but it couldn't hurt to wait a little bit to have some fun.

"May I have this dance?" I asked Femke with a polite bow.

"Of course." She replied as she gave another bow before we walked onto the dance floor with me.

Femke's POV

We ran a little late for the party because the taxi came in late but the party hadn't started that long when I came in. When I walked in, I saw a crowd and nearly balked. I hated crowds.

"Stay cool. You're doing great. Just breathe." Floxy whispered in my ear from his spot in my handbag. I smiled at him before I walked down like a princess should before giving Tarrlok who had come to stand under the stairs when he saw me, a small curtsey.

"Thanks for coming Femke. You look beautiful." Tarrlok complimented me with a small smile on his face which made me smile as well, to the great annoyance of Floxy.

"Thank you." I smiled as I curtseyed again, praying I wasn't acting like a princess too much but Tarrlok didn't seemed to notice. Perking up his ears as a slow song started to play.

"May I have this dance?"

He asked me with a polite bow.

"Of course." I replied without any hesitation, taking his hand and letting him lead me onto the dance floor. "First time?" I asked after a while.