Chapter 1: Novel Change SIX MONTHS LATER

Sighing as I put away my research papers, I felt that life couldn't get crazier after the Novel Change. Day after day, I tried finding comfort in the endless orange tinge in the sky that had plagued the world longer than I had been around. Yeah, still there. Orange tinted lakes, purple-orange clouds, and silhouetted hills.

I reached out to my video wall and mentally wrote the words, 'Skies before The Major Change'. It pulled up pictures of skies in brilliant shades of blue that existed long ago. Apparently, this Major Change, or MC, happened when the earth started moving way slower than before, causing a day and a year to be the same amount of time. Days used to be much more pleasant and it was uncommon to die of cold at night. Before I joined the Zonal and Global Research Organisation, I thought it sounded like a fantasy.

While I was lost in thought, the words Live Stream flashed across. Probably another alert about this crisis, I thought. I waved my hand once and a man with oily-looking hair and a gaudy purple-and-yellow striped shirt appeared. He appeared to be someone new as I had never seen him in the Headquarters before.

"Geonauts of the ZGRO" he announced in a raspy voice, "Your trainer, Leia, has appointed me as the Special Trainer for this project. For a month, there will be a training program for research to gather additional information about the two continents on account of the Novel Change. For more details, tune in to the Twilight session. Thank you for listening."

I stood there silently, still staring at the space where Gaudy Shirt was a second ago. A research trip was it? I was intrigued. It was, after all, my biggest dream to see the world outside the projector and the radars in The Zone.