Chapter 2

As Raya walked into her school, she tried to avoid the eyes of the people around her. She looked down at her feet as she walked. As if something bad would happen if she looked up. Despite not directly looking at the people around her, Raya could tell that some people were staring at her while some were just minding their own business. Raya looked at the sheet of paper her uncle received from the school a few days ago when he arranged matters for Raya. She then found out that her first class will be Biology. Not wanting to walk into a classroom full of people, she quickly walked through the hallway, hoping the classroom would be empty when she arrived.

Raya walked into the classroom, and to her relief, there weren't that many people yet. Just about three students in the class, two boys and a girl. Two of the students out of the three looked at Raya curiously, noticing the fact that she is new in school. Not wanting to talk to any of the students, Raya decided to avoid looking at them as she walked to the back of the classroom before sitting down, internally hoping that no one would come to talk to her.

As Raya tried to act as if she was busy, so that no one would approach her. She could hear footsteps walking towards her. Raya knew that someone was about to approach her and continued to act as if she was busy going through her belongings.

“You’re new here, aren’t you?” asked a female voice. Raya didn’t want to look at the girl. She stared at her bag pretending to be busy and occupied with arranging her stuff. “My name is Namaari,” the girl said, her hand extending out towards Raya.

Raya looked up meekly, she saw the girl, who has short hair, smiling at her. Raya took the other girl’s hand and shook it weakly. “Nice to meet you, I guess,” Raya said softly.
“So, what’s your name, girl?” asked Namaari casually. “R- Raya,” the long-haired girl stuttered nervously.

“Raya? As in celebrate in Malay?” asked Namaari curiously, raising her eyebrow. “That’s a nice name.”
“Yeah,” Raya said. She wasn’t looking to have a conversation with anyone just yet. She wanted to stop and stay quiet and avoid interacting with others. “Oh! Cool,” Namaari said smilingly. “So, you’re from around here?” Namaari asked.

As friendly as Namaari may seem, there was a certain sense of dread and fear inside Raya, her instinct telling her not to trust Namaari just yet. After all, she had first hand experience how someone she may know for so long might turn against her and become her bully the next day.

“I’m new,” Raya said awkwardly. In her mind, she wanted the conversation to end but outside, Raya was trying hard to put on a friendly face. She wasn’t sure if she could even trust this Namaari person.
“Maybe I could show you around, you know? Hang out together?” Namaari suggested quickly.
“Uhm… I’ll let you know… when… I can,” Raya quickly answered. She had no intention of hanging out just yet, but she didn’t want to come off as being too rude.

“Sure,” Namaari said brightly as she turned around. “Oh and also. You are quite tense, relax, Raya.” Namaari said looking back before walking to her seat. For some odd reason, Raya couldn’t help but smile a bit and felt a slight blush across her face. She thought to herself, “This girl seems nice… and pretty. But I should still keep an eye on her.” More kids started piling in and then the teacher walked in, she said, “Ok, class, today we have a new student, her name is Raya. Raya, stand up, please.”

Raya stood up and mentally prepared herself. “Hi, my name is Raya.” Was all she said before sitting back down. Within a few seconds, the teacher started class and Raya quietly said to herself, “This is gonna be a long year…”

A/N: Sorry this chapter is short, I was mentally drained from school and I was busy