Chapter 8

I think it's time we had an update don't you? :) Enjoy...

It had felt inhumane when I'd been thrown inside of one of the cells beneath the palace. In fact the action was so cold and abrupt that it had felt like the stripping of my humanity.

Then, unlike a human, I had clawed at the ground, suffocating in the sudden pitch blackness, feeling claustrophobia quickly beginning to set in, triggered by visions of a single spark from the torch he'd been holding falling down and consuming everything around including me.

And they would not have been able to hear me scream.

That was what the giant man whom the pharaoh had called Fai-hon had said before he left me locked behind a rusted metal gate in the wall. At the sight of his back, vanishing down the long dark hallway, I got quickly acquainted with the feeling of utter loneliness, a feeling that lasted over the long stretch of time that came to follow.

The interior of the cell smelled like humid dust and must and not to mention the faint whiff of the makeshift sewage system I'd been forced to use which consisted of a hole in the ground where water ran underneath, day and night. If I'd been the size of a mole, I would have jumped down and sailed away through the sludge of waste toward freedom.

When I'd first been trapped in here, I'd tried my very best to rip the doors apart with my bare hands, shaking them on their hinges and happily testing out the claim of being unheard. I didn't know whether to be angry or relieved when no-one showed up to silence me.

It seemed the claim had been true.

Anyway I wasn't strong enough to break the metal door off of it's hinges so I'd quickly moved on to squeezing myself through the gaps, hoping that I'd lost enough weight to effectively slide through but I only ended up hurting and crushing myself.

I'd tried again and again until I'd heard a latch echo through the large space and footsteps in the distance. I was panting but I retreated from the gate and cowered into a corner as a haze of light closed in on me. My heart thudded with each and every audible step and I'd prayed to god that it wasn't because they'd received orders to kill me after all.

Soon after, into view had come Fai-hon, who had returned with bread and a small amount of beer to feed me with.

I was to learn later on that this would become a regular pattern of behaviour.

I had no indication of how much time had passed but I could only assume by the reaction of my own body that they were feeding me twice a day. I never ate what they gave me but still he took my untouched plate and replaced it with a nearly identical fresh one every single time, as had been the case today.

As soon as his muscular frame had vanished this time and the latch sounded in the distance, I scowered the ground for the sharp rock I'd felt whilst sleeping one night and continued sawing away at the crumbling space under a specific brick in the wall. When I applied friction, I felt debris crumble down into my lap, not a lot of debris but it was something. Something that I could believe in.

I continued hacking away at the same position first thing when I woke up and for hours after that. I wasn't very deep into the wall but it was a start, the only thing giving me hope and stopping me from giving up on myself completely.

I went hard, shaving away at the hardened concrete, feeling my hand begin to hurt. Sweat trickled down my brow, I was on my knees with determination and focus stopping every so often when I felt like I'd heard the latch go and that I may be too loud.

While I worked I felt my ambition returning. It amplified as I increased my efforts. And then, just as I began to burn through the brick at a productive pace, the stone snapped off in my hands.