Chapter 19

Once she had stepped away from Jack, Isabella made her way out the back of the house to begin her struggles of whether or not she should call George.

Just as she had talked herself into doing it, making herself realise whether he liked it or not they had a son and he needed to come first no matter what, Sophie appeared around the corner.

“What are you doing back here?”

“I… er… nothing.” Isabella mumbled back, half smiling to make her mess of words seem believable.

“Iz.” Sophie looked at her sternly, knowing her well and it was obvious this was nothing.

“It just feels weird being here, you know?” Isabella expertly turned this into something different.

“What do you mean?” Sophie frowned, concerned with what she was referring to.

“Here at Jack’s, with all his family and friends. I used to know a lot of them and now they’re all strangers. I get it’s my fault but I’ve barely even spoken to his parents and they were always so nice.”

As she began talking, she realised this cover up story was more the truth than made up. She had just tried to knock it back into her unconscious where she wouldn’t ever have to feel the pain of dealing with it ever again.

“Everyone still loves you Iz, they never turned their back on you.”

“I know.” She nodded back. “But I did it to them and they should hate me for it.”

“Come with me and I’ll ensure you have a very good sociable night.” Sophie grinned and Isabella didn’t doubt that would happen at all.

“Sure, just one minute.” She replied praying that Sophie would agree to it.

And she did, walking off and giving her a few more minutes alone.

Pulling her phone from her pocket she didn’t think twice about calling George, clicking on his contact and holding the phone to her ear.

After many rings it finally went to voicemail causing her heart to shatter and her stomach to twist in knots. But she didn’t give up.

Dialling it again and again she kept trying, eagerly and desperately wanting him to pick up. Too just hear his voice. To know he was okay.

“Hello?” He finally answered on her tenth ring.

She paused.

Not knowing what to do or say.

She just silenced.

In panic she ended the call, pulling the phone down from her ear as her whole body was shaking, her breathing turning into light panting.

“Oh my God.” She whispered.

It took a matter of minutes before her phone began ringing in her hand and looking down at the screen in pure hope of George, it wasn’t. It was Joe.

“Hey.” She answered, her voice still shaky yet he didn’t seem to notice.

“Stop ringing George.” He said almost immediately, taking her completely off guard.

How did he know?

“What?” She asked, trying to play dumb but it obviously wasn’t going to work.

“He’s not safe to be around, you know that.”

Biting her lip, she looked up to the ceiling.

“How did you know I called?” She asked not wanting to play around.

“I told you I would hand back the ring and I did. I also saw the mess he has become and he himself told me you should stay away. He called me right after you called him Isabella.” Joe warned and what he was saying should have been scaring her, but it did the complete opposite. It made her want to get in contact with him more.