[An eventful afternoon]

Depuis le début

***********

The ensuing journey was next to silent. Emilia had fallen into a deep slumber less than five minutes after climbing into the dragon drawn carriage and was now pressed shoulder to shoulder with Ram - the bubblegum pink haired maid, who was situated opposite of Subaru. The formers eyes were shut, closed tightly, though she was quite obviously awake.

"Barusu." Her voice rang out, voice bouncing as the cart jumped over pebbles in the road, eyes closed and unflinching.

"I wish you would quit calling me that.." Muttered the nasty-eyed boy being addressed. 

"I shan't question why you and Lady Emilia were browsing for infant clothing."

"..That implies you're curious about it." Subaru's lapse in judgement was what had lead to this confrontation.. what will this confrontation lead to?

-It'll be fine. Ram's not the type to snitch..... unless it's Roswaal she's snitching to. She would have probably snitched to Rem in the past as well.. Okay, forget it. Ram isn't trustworthy.

"Perhaps I am. However, the fact you have yet to explain yourself means you want it to be kept a secret." She, at last, opened her feline-pointed eyes, staring at Subaru without expression. Even without it, Subaru sensed metaphorical, disembodied daggers being shoved into his chest.

"You picked up on at much huh.." Subaru thought aloud. He leaned over, his spine bending in the way a NEET's normally sits, placing his elbow on the respective knee, of which he used in aiding the propping up of his arm - connected to the arm holding his head. 

Silence continued without a seeable end.

Emilia stirred, roused into the world of reality. She held her chin on the top of Ram's shoulder, moving her head upwards in order to look at the latter's cheek. Her legs brushed against the red velvet of the seat as she wiggled into a better position.

"Ra~m. I'm hungry.." Emilia stated, dragging out the vowel in a sing-song tone of voice. 

"Didn't you just say ten minutes ago that you weren't??" Subaru shifted his head to the side as the thigh under his elbow began to sting - assumedly thanks to the friction of fabric against his skin each time their transport jolted the slightest bit.

"Well..! Ten minutes have passed since then.. I'm hungry now." Moving so her chin was placed against Ram's upper arm  rather than her shoulder, as if her head was too heavy for her to hold on her own, the argent-haired girl made sure she was looking at Subaru.

"Lady Emilia, I have an appa in the shopping bag you may snack on." Ram didn't look at Emilia as a dutiful maid should when speaking. Rather, her intimidating magenta gaze was fixed on Subaru.

"I don't want an appa.. I would like a biiig meal please!" 

"We are passing by a small establishment, I believe it would suit--"

"--Turn quick!" Emilia abruptly interrupted Ram after said establishment came into view. The sudden yell - which Emilia began apologising profusely for - made both Ram and Subaru flinch. The cobble building, befitting to what one would imagine of medieval England, was placed to the side of the dragon path, ostracised from the other similar looking buildings dotted around the capital. The white paint was peeling off of the top half of the building, with the faux wooden pillars simply etched into the exterior looking to be only just holding the place up. It reminded Subaru of a tavern.