𝐹𝑖𝑣𝑒

"I don't say this lightly but I love you

"I don't say this lightly but I love you." Steve chuckles as he enters my hospital room with a bag of food. "That's kind of you, especially since we're not friends?"

"Oh that's embarrassing I was talking to the food." I say laughing which makes him smile. "Of course you were."

"No but thank you Steve, I thought I was going starve with the crap they serve here."

"So where would you say that we were on the friendship scale?" I smile as I dig into the food, "why is being my friend so important to you?"

"Because I think that you've got a good heart. I've seen that kindness in and you and I think that you just need someone to help you see it too." He replies making me giggle, "me Good? You truly don't know me Captain."

"It's what I believe." He shrugs making me shrug.

"So... not to pry or anything but since we have the time now do you think you could tell me about sirens and mermaids?" The interest on his face is actually pretty cute but that's not what makes me cave.

"Fine, just because you brought me food."

。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.

"So there are three types of sirens, there's the sirens from the legends and myths, the cursed ones who sink boats and eat sailors. Then there's the mermaids who turn into sirens-"

"Why would they do that?"

"Well mermaids have a prolonged life expectancy compared to humans but they don't live forever. Sirens well, when they consume human flesh it's what keeps them young. So mermaids who aren't ready to die, they- go off the deep end."

"And then there's the sirens like me who aren't technically sirens seeing as we don't eat humans but we have the gene that gives us powers. It's like a mutation that's randomly passed down and I guess somewhere in my mothers bloodline there's a siren or a few and unfortunately I inherited their gene."

"Oh well that's not fair." I shrug, "life's not fair."

"If your mom didn't want you? How are you in contact with your uncle?"

"My mum she's uh... she's queen of Catalin and having a half human baby was shameful enough especially since she wasn't married but the fact that I was a siren just tipped it over the edge. She didn't want her little half human, half siren bastard baby, because she loved her reputation more than... me. She wanted to rule, she didn't want to be my mother and so she dumped me with my father and he did his best but he was just a human and he couldn't always help me."

I take a breath and smile as I think of my uncle. "My mums brother, Aalton, he found out about me and he disagreed with my mother giving me away, knowing I'd need help and so he came looking for me. He trained me and did his best with my powers but he didn't know everything and my mother didn't even know that he was visiting me so that meant he couldn't stay for long. He visits rarely whenever he can but I'm always grateful to see him. After my dad...he's all I have left."