Chapter One

The alarm clock blared beside the bed, the loud ringing causing the woman in the bed beside it's head to throb.

"Stoooop." She groaned and threw an arm out to smack the alarm clock off, trying to hit the snooze button as hard as she could. Unfortunately for her, she missed the button and growled before gripping the alarm clock and launched it at the wall, the plug coming out of the socket as it flew across the room. She sighed in relief as the bedroom settled into a comfortable silence and she nestled back down into bed.

That was, however, until she realized that she was going to be late.

Elizabeth Newton, normally known as Beth, shot up in her bed, eyes wide open as her brain started to buzz.
"Crap, crap, crap, crap." Beth grabbed her phone off the floor and checked it.

0830

"Damnit!" Beth yanked the blankets off her legs and got off the bed quickly, having to briefly lean against the wall as her head spun from getting up too fast. She blinked a few times and when her vision stopped swimming, she grabbed her clothes that she had laid out on the stool at the end of her bed and started rushing through the house to try and grab her stuff.

"I can't be late, I can't be late. First day and you're already going to be late. Damnit woman." Beth started slipping her pajamas of when she got into her bathroom and quickly got changed, pulling on her jeans and pale yellow blouse as she tried to brush her teeth at the same time. It wasn't much of a success though because just as she managed to get the blouse over her head, some toothpaste dribbled out of her mouth and onto her shirt. She paused and looked down at the dribble and made a noise that was somewhere between disbelief and annoyance. Beth leaned over the sink to spit out the rest of the toothpaste and rinsed her mouth.

"Of course this had to happen today." She straightened and turned to go back into her room, pulling the blouse over her head as she made for her wardrobe and started sifting through her nice tops that she had hanging up in there. She found one and pulled it on, checking it over for any stains which to her good luck, there was none. She looked down at her phone again.

0845

She had thirty minutes before she was supposed to start working and she wasn't even fully ready to leave the house. She pocketed her phone and grabbed her boots before heading back to the bathroom to sort out her hair and face for work.

Beth pulled a brush through her shoulder length, wavy brown hair and pulled a hair tie out to tie it off in a loose bun on the top of her head, hoping it wouldn't make her seem taller than she already was. She was about 5'8 and already felt like a giant around her female friends, most whom were shorter than her by quite a few inches. She didn't need to turn up to her new job and feel like a giant. Barre a few of her female friends who were the same height as her but those were few and far between.

Grabbing her make-up from under the sink, Beth rushed to lightly make up her face, trying to give herself more color to her cheeks than she already did. Her brown eyes were big and round on her face as she finished off and she took a deep breathe before doing a last once over of herself and sighed. It would do for now. She really wished she had set her alarm for earlier now because when she pulled her phone out of her pocket to check the time and almost yelped when she realized she now only had 15 minutes to get to her new place of work.

She raced around the house again in a tizz, trying to find her car keys and her handbag, cursing aloud to herself as she ran around her small apartment. When she had found her keys (which had somehow ended up in the fridge and Beth had the smallest suspicion that she had put them in there last night when she was having a few drinks with her friends who had been over). She stood in the middle of her apartment, mentally ticking through her checklist of things that she needed. But even if she forgot something, it wasn't of much importance anyway because she was already late as it was. Beth left her apartment and fiddled with the door lock as she tried to lock the door. She stood in the hallway for a bit as she did this. The door had always been fiddly for her and every time she had spoken to the apartment building owner and maintenance, she could've almost sworn the door got harder to lock and more fiddly with the key.

"Hiya doll! Haven ya some trouble?" Beth looked up from where the key was now stuck in the door to see her neighbor, old Mrs Daphne, leaning out of her front door, hair in stark white rolls around her face. Beth grinned sheepishly at Mrs Daphne and shrugged her shoulders as the key turned in the lock successfully.
"Only the same thing as always, Mrs D! How's your back treating you?"
"Ooh sugar, it's aching and cracking like always!"
"Have you taken your pain medications?" Beth raised an eyebrow as she tossed her keys in the air and walked up the hall to lean against Mrs Daphne's door frame.
"You worry too much, doll face. Of course I'm taking my pain killers." Beth grinned.

She had known Mrs Daphne for the entirety of the time she had been living in the apartment block, which had been for the past three years. Mrs Daphne had come to Beth's' front door two days after she had moved in, arms laden with a giant freshly cooked pot roast and a hot apple pie to go with it. From then on, they'd taken care of each other and it had been bliss. Beth never turned down free food or the ability to share food.

"You're on your way to the new job, aren't ya?"
"Yes, Mrs D. I am so sorry I can't stop to chat but I'll tell you all about my day when I get home, okay?" She didn't even hear Mrs Daphne's response as she looked at her watch and darter down the hall. She swore as she swung the door that led to the stairs that she could hear Mrs Daphne chuckling to herself as Beth disappeared from view.

Beth rushed to her car and yanked the door open and threw her bag in the car, herself following closely behind. She swore rather loudly to herself as she put the key in the engine and prayed that today would not be the day her car would crap out on her.

"Come on, you stubborn son of a bee sting. Work!" She smacked the flat of her hand against the dashboard and the car roared into life. She gave a triumphant yell as the car hummed beneath her. "Thank you!" She looked at the time and knew that there was no way she was getting to work on time.

Great way to make a first impression. Tomorrow, she would have to bring coffee to make up for it  but today was not going to be that day. She would repent to the boss tomorrow.

From the Author:

A short chapter but figured it would be good to get the ball rolling!
I'm starting to think that I need to write exclusively Bones related fanfics so that way there's more in the world... Who knows.

Bree x