"What happened?" The manager stared at the tray that laid on the floor, food scattered all over the table, and the old drunk man that now rested his head on the table, dozing off.

Zayn cleared his throat, his eyes still staring at my wrist.

I watched as the manager tried to wake up the sleeping customer.

"Another drunkie?" The manager asked us.

I breathed heavily, relieved that the manager understood the situation.

"Yes, sir." Zayn replied.

"You guys go ahead and go. It's late anyway, I'll take care of him." The manager shooed us away.

He tried to wake the man up, but the man only groaned and shifted his head to the other side, still sleeping.

My eyes feared to meet Zayn's, but I looked anyway, feeling his eyes intensely staring at me.

He flicked his head, signaling me to follow him.

.-.-.-.-.-.

"Let me see it." Zayn reached for my hand.

I shook my head and hid my arm behind my back.

"I'm fine." I resisted.

"Just let me see it." he laid his palm out, waiting for me to set my hand on it.

His brown eyes gazed deeply into mine, intending me to give him my hand.

I gave it to him, setting it on his warm palm.

"See? It's not fine." he inspected it.

My wrist had turned a purplish, blue color, marking where the man's grip held me.

He pulled out an ice pack from the freezer.

"Sit down." he commanded.

He sat down on a stool and pulled another one over by him. I walked over and sat.

"I'm really fine." I repeated, flipping my brown hair to the side, out of my face.

"Shh." he grabbed my arm and sat the ice on it gently.

I felt the coldness feel up my wrist. His eyes stared at me worriedly.

"I told you already. If someone makes you feel uncomfortable just scream my name." he says.

"I can take care of myself." I pulled my arm away.

"Stop being stubborn. I've known you ever since you were a baby. I know for a fact that you can't protect yourself." he sighed.

He stood up and stretched.

"Let's go home. I'm exhausted." he yawned.

I stared at my wrist. It was hurting, but I can't always have Zayn being the person to take care of me when I'm hurt.

I moved out of my parents house to live independently and live by myself, so I moved from New York to Chicago, got my own apartment and got into a college.

But as I did those things, there was always a person who followed right behind my path.

Zayn.

I've known him ever since we were little, and from then on, we were best friends.

But he was more like a big brother to me now, always being there for me and helping me.