"Merry Christmas, Reg!"

***

The Potters had a tradition to always open their presents after Christmas Dinner. Never in the morning.

So there they were, after breakfast, sitting in the living room, wrapped in blankets.

"Hot chocolate," James bellowed, entering the room with a tray full of hot chocolate for everyone.

As he passed Jasmine her drink, he whispered something in her ear. "Helps with the pain. Y'know the soreness and limping —"

"Shut up, you asshole," she whispered back and snatched the mug from his hand.

There was limited space on the sofa, so Regulus put his arm around Jasmine and pulled her closer to him in order for the rest to sit down.

"Really?" she sniggered to him quietly. "Fuelling their thoughts, are you?"

"Oh, well," he smiled. She knew exactly what he was doing.

"I remember the part where you confessed last night," she whispered.

Everyone else in the room was chattering away, they couldn't hear a thing the two were saying.

He cleared his throat, "Oh. Did you? Um —"

"It's fine. Those rules never mattered anyway," she shrugged.

She thought he knew what she meant. But he didn't. At all. He sat there confused.

CHRISTMAS DINNER WAS READY in less than a few hours. James, Regulus and Jasmine sat on one side of the table, while the parents sat across from them.

"James, don't eat that, you're allergic," Euphemia snapped, slapping James' hand. "No, Jas, serve yourself."

Jasmine groaned. She never knew how to properly serve herself at dinners. She was struggling to cut the turkey, but she felt cold hands on top of hers.

Regulus stood above her and guided her hands on how to cut it.

"See? You got it, it's simple," he breathed into her ear. She shuddered at how close he was.

"There," Euphemia said as Jasmine put a slice on her plate.

"Thank you, Reg," she said, sitting back down in her seat.

"Jas, catch!" James said. Before Jasmine could shift her attention to him, he chuckled a mince pie at her and it fell to her plate.

"What is your problem?" she muttered, moving the pie off her plate. "Can you cut it out? Fuck's sake."

"Language, Jasmine," Fleamont announced.

"I'm sixteen," she said. "Seventeen in three months. I think I'm alright to swear, Dad."

Fleamont huffed and mumbled something about "not at the dinner table."

Regulus sat in silence. He felt overwhelmed with all this love that they were showing. Normally at Christmas, they'd sit in silence and eat at the Blacks. Last year, the table was crowded with his cousins and their husbands, and he was forbidden to speak at all. He had to eat in silence and hear Narcissa and Bellatrix rant on and on about their Death Eater tasks and their new husbands.