𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑ʲᵘˢᵗ ˡⁱᵏᵉ ᶠⁱʳᵉ

Start from the beginning

The two approached the man, who held them energetically in an embrace. Their clothes were dirty with smoke and ashes, but the fire was fading, making them extremely happy. 

"What were you thinking?" The man asked them, shocked and confused by the almost loss of children. Romeo spoke as he had managed to breathe normally. 

"Oxygen feeds the fire. Leaving everything open wouldn't have let the fire go out," The guy said. Their father's eyes were full of pride and satisfaction and he resumed holding them. 

Calliope scanned around for the first time since she appeared. There were many people and they helped or looked terrified. 

For a moment she watched Gilbert, one of the boys who had put himself on the front line to help. He kept throwing buckets of water on the house, continuing to fight the fire. Only for a moment did the two exchange a look, immersing themselves in a world of their own. 

Gilbert saw the girl jump into the flames and wanted to make sure Callie didn't get hurt somehow. And Calliope wanted to do the same. 

Gilbert went back to work while Callie started looking the other way. Then she saw Izzy, whose face was red as tears slipped from her light-blue eyes. Callie broke away from her father to go to console her friend. 

As soon as the two met, Izzy locked the brunette in a hug, crying again. Callie returned the hug, holding her even tighter. 

Izzy placed her head on Callie's shoulder and began to speak among the sobs. 

"Please don't terrify me like that anymore," The girl told because when she saw the girl running to the house she had a heart attack. 

Callie didn't reply, knowing she couldn't guarantee something like that.

✦——————————✦

"And we thank Thee, O Lord, for your mercy. And of some have compassion, making a difference. Others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. Now unto Him, that is able to keep you from falling and present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy..." 

Everyone was in front of the house listening to the priest. It had been a long and devastating night, especially for the Gillis. 

"... we thank thee for watching over us and keeping all in our community safe from harm. Praise be to God Almighty. All right, it's settled" The priest ended by dismissing all those present. 

The Gillis would be divided into other families, including those of Diana and Anne. 

The house would return as new in about a week. Ruby would stay at Anne's house during those days, which made the blonde despair.

The day after the renovations had already begun, thanks to the guys who were managing to fix it. 

Even Romeo had chosen to help, to haven't to make their father struggle. 

Callie stayed there to keep her brother company, and to don't leave him in the clasps of Billy Andrews. 

Anne and Ruby visited, bringing sweetmeat for the workers. 

"Hey, look, it's the freak and her new twin sister", Billy Andrews said, seeing the appearance of the two. Gilbert replied shortly after, not paying much attention. 

"As long as they bring food, I don't care if it's Quasimodo".  Then Ruby fell as her eyes were laid on Gilbert rather than on the filthy ground. 

Billy and the other boys giggled making fun of her. 

"Girls are so useless. Guess you should have stayed home in the kitchen, eh?" Billy said while Gilbert stated something to the boy that Calliope didn't listen. 

On the other hand, Callie straightened her back and yelled at the blond boy. 

"If you're born, perhaps you should thank a woman. Instead of talking, you could start using that hammer, because if you don't, I'll swear I'll use it on your head soon, Okay?" 

She screamed, ready to get near  Billy to hit him in the face. He turned white, remembering why the brunette was so scary. 

Romeo went down the stairs and approached Ruby, helping her up. The girl thanked him with her head, while on Callie's lips appeared a clever smile. 

Anne insisted on returning Ruby to her house, while Ruby kept staring at Gilbert. The pair went off, leaving the boys to go back to work. 

Romeo looked at his sister for a moment, regretting it bitterly. Callie had a malefic expression on her face, wanting to embarrass desperately her sweet brother. 

Romeo made a sigh, letting her know to drop the topic. Callie didn't get mad, but an unconstrained desire to interrogate her sibling hit her. So she approached maliciously, ready to tease the boy.

"Well, well, well. Looks like the golden boy fell in love with a little blonde named Ruby. When is the wedding? "She said with a sly grin.

"Go back to reading, you're less annoying when you don't talk" He replied walking away from his sister.

Part of her imagined her brother and the little blonde in a relationship, even though she didn't fancy saying it out loud. 

 Gillis was too taken by her obsession with Gilbert, and Romeo was just too much of himself. She understood that the two had different interests and habits, but a part of her felt that sooner or later a spark would've exploded. 

Time later, Anne returned to class and resumed lessons. Somehow hidden to Callie, Anne managed to get along with Ruby, surprising her immensely. Meanwhile, Callie had tried to twist some other information to her brother about the blonde, failing poorly. 

Romeo didn't want to say anything at all to Calliope, calling her too nosy or saying that everything she had seen was pure fiction. 

So Callie quit asking questions, but only for the time being. Things looked to be going better and Callie considered that the fire has been a good turning point at the end of the day.