Chapter 1- What the FUCK

Someone once told Bokuto that there were two sides to life. Years later, when he looked in the mirror, he questioned himself on what side he was on. The helplessness that came with his silent disease sent him into darker corners those days. His head had become his own personal hell. Constantly tired of his own words and actions. He would rather feed the birds than play volleyball if he were to be honest.

If there were two sides to life, Bokuto might have chosen darkness over light at some point.

It was too cold to do anything. He prefered the warmer weather. His hands were always cold, it didn't matter how much he rubbed them together or how deep he buried them in his pockets. The days had been grey and rainy. That morning, the weather cast predicted snow for the following week.

After classes, the dorm halls were always packed. But all he could hear was the buzzing noises in his ears, as his own thoughts gulfed him. He should be at practice with his team, but he barely had the energy to drag his feet to his dorm. His friends were worried about him lately. Everytime he excused himself from practice earlier, they asked him a million questions he didn't know how to answer.

Accidentally, he had chosen darkness over light. It was always worse in the winter time. It was worse when the streets lit up with golden lights and were filled with festive music. There was no meaning to anything anymore.

As he approached the door to his room, he started to pat the pockets of his jacket. Then, the back pockets of his jeans. The possibility crossed his mind, but he would check everything before he decided to go back. He searched his backpack through and through and emptied it of his belongings. He shook the empty bag. He jumped up and down. No signal of his keys. As Bokuto massaged his temples, he let out a heavy sigh. He had to go back and ask Sakusa for his keys.

He shoved his belongings spreaded on the floor back to his bag and glared at the busy corridor. He had to go through all those people once again. He sighed again and started to make his way towards the exit. What a mess of people.

As he slithered through the countless bodies that filled the narrow walls, the clouds parted outside the glass window. A clear ray of light crossed the hall. That's when he saw her. His feet were glued to the floor the moment he recognized the dusty yellow eyes that so beautifully contrasted with her medium dark skin. When her long curly hair received the sunlight, the magenta tones became prominent. Aika Endo, his highschool sweetheart.

It didn't take the girl too long to lock her gaze into a staring Bokuto. He was also one to stand out with his height and white and black strands of spiky hair. Her face lit up in recognition. In her eyes there was a glint of nostalgia and sadness. Her face broke from her usual cold and distant expression and opened a genuine smile, for him only. Her cheeks showed the rush of emotions she was clinging onto. Bokuto's faint heart skipped a beat. As his eyes widened at the way the clouds parted to lighten her best features, he couldn't help but ask himself why the hell she wasn't in his life anymore.

"Koutarou, long time no see."

Her voice was a tune for his ears. An answer to his prayers. It was hard not to think of all the songs she once sang to him.

"Hey, Aika," he would've liked if his voice came out as energized as it used to. "I didn't know you were on campus. Are you lost?"

"Sort of. I'm trying to find my friend's boyfriend's dorm. This building is a mess, though."

"Tell me about it. It's always so noisy."

Aika raised a brow.

"You're not one to complain about noise. Normally you're the origin of it."