xii.

I smile as I step off the last step of the stairs and navigate around the table with food. However, that smile drops when I see Simon talking to my two eldest brothers. I look around and spot my mother standing with Daphne. I quickly walk over to them. "Mother." I say to her as I approach. "Oh Delia," she says as she turns around to face me. She wants to say something else but I beat her to it. "What is he doing here?" I ask her. "Whoever do you mean?" mother asks. "Simon." I say. "It's Your Grace, Delia." she starts as she gives me a stern look. "And I invited him since he helped carry all the stuff inside. I only thought it appropriate." she says as she looks at him. Then she turns back to me. "You will behave tonight since I invited him. I will not have you cause havoc like you normally do." she says and then she walks towards the table with food before I can say anything else. "Friends, and honored guest," my mother starts, getting everyone's attention. "We are most gracious that you could grace us with your presence tonight. Now please, enjoy the evening." she continues, officially inviting everyone to start eating the food. "Come on sister, how bad could it be that he is here?" Daphne asks as she takes my arm and walks me over to the table. I sigh, grab a little plate and start to put all different kinds of foods on it. And Daphne was right, I didn't talk to Simon for a while. In fact, I avoided him a bit. That was until my mother called for me. I wrapped up my conversation with Evan and Oliver and turned around to walk toward my mother. My step faltered when I saw Simon standing next to my mother. I rolled my eyes because of the intentions of my mother. She made it so obvious. "Your Grace." I say as come to a stop in front of them and give a small bow. Simon nods his head at me. "You called for me mother?" I say as I look at her. She looks surprised. "I did not." she says. "Ah." I say. "If you'll excuse me." my mother says as she nods at Simon.

"It's so obvious." I say when my mother is out of hearing range. Music starts playing and we look at each other. Simon chuckles, "It is." he says as he puts out his arm. I smile and take it. He leads me to an empty spot on the dancefloor and we start dancing. "You should not have lost your temper with Lord Berbrooke." I say. He breaks eye contact and glances around, looking a bit annoyed. "You should know something about me, Delia. I will not tolerate a bully." he says. "And you should know something about me, Simon. I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself and my family." I say. "So I heard." he says. I frown. "I read Lady Whistledown and I know that Lord Berbrooke left because he had a maid and son uncared for." he says as he looks at me with a small smirk. "I am assuming that that rumor didn't come out of nowhere." he says. "Really?!" I say, faking my surprise. He chuckles. "How stupid of me to doubt if you came up with an idea. I mean, of course you did." he says and now it is I who let out a chuckle. "What makes you think that Simon?" I ask innocently. "I know how protective you are of your family and I know that you would've never let Daphne marry that toad." he says and I smile. "You know that that is a really admirable quality." he says. I can feel my cheeks start to heat up. "You are protective of your family and nice to people." he continues. I look him in the eyes. "You inviting the staff to join you tonight is something nobody else in this society would have done." he says. "Oh, come on. There are loads of people who-" I start. "No, Delia. I mean it, there is nobody. At least besides you, I have yet to meet them." he says. "Well, thank you." I say with a small nod of my head. "Circling back to the whole Berbrooke stuff," I start and he raises his brows. "I know how you can make it up to me." I continue. "I don't remember me offering you an apology or anything else of the sort." he says with his eyebrows raised. "You could lend me your carriage someday." I say, ignoring his comment. "And what would you want my carriage for?" he asks with an amused face. "How else is this fine young lady expected to get to a ball, Your Grace?" I ask him with a raised voice like it's the most obvious thing in the world. He breaks out into a smile. "Of course, my lady, how could I possibly forget the most important thing of your life." he says, which makes me laugh.