Dying In His Arms

Dying in His Arms

As she lay there, dying, with blood gushing from the wound that saved his life, he thought of everything that had transpired between the two. He was sorry, he realized. Regret weld up inside. It was him that uttered those harmful words and committed those sinful deeds. It really hurt her. HE really hurt her. He left her broken and scarred. He led her on then destroyed her in the worst way possible. All for nothing-just a game, a lie, a lost hope.

And yet... she took a bullet for him.

"Why?" was all he could say. His voice came out as a hoarse whisper, but she heard him. She looked into his eyes and saw the unshed tears there. She saw his broken soul, lying in pieces.

"Because... I love you," she answered, her voice full of emotion. It was true. After everything that had happened, she had fallen in love with the boy who had a broken heart and a shattered soul.

"Bu-but after everything I did...?" he trailed off. How could she love him still?

"You're a lost soul. I hated what you did. It tore me apart. But I could never hate you the way I wanted. You were broken long ago. Seeing your pain-your true self-I couldn't help but fall." Her voice was barely a whisper at the end. Her energy was fading. The pain was too great.

A single tear fell from his face and landed on her cheek. She smiled faintly and wiped his tear away. He held her close, not caring that the blood would stain his clothes.

"I will always love you " she whispered with a final breath. Her weak body was slowly beginning to fail, and she could feel Death's chilling hand on her shoulder. She closed her eyes and felt safe in his arms, as though nothing could ever hurt her. She barely heard him shudder "I will always love you, too."

With those words, she felt herself relax. Finally, peace had come to her. 'Everything will be alright,' she thought. With a swift jerk, everything went dark.

She had moved on at last.