Chapter 1: Seeking Admission

Xian Zhishi Academy had a proud reputation. Over two centuries old, it'd turned out a steady stream of sorcerers and warriors. Even the least worthy graduate left its halls to go on to become some high official or legendary wandering knight. Why King Ri Kai'lung himself had studied there when he was but ten, learning to channel the magic inherent in the royal family's blood.

Of course, part of the reason the academy had been so successful was its careful selection of students. Prodigies were encouraged but lacking such, children of families rich enough to afford tutors would do. Those who couldn't keep up with their lessons, no matter how rich or talented, were sent to Xian Zhishi's less prestigious sister academy in the foothills. It was an excellent system for ensuring Xian Zhishi's position as the finest school in Khaitan, even if it did narrow the field to the particularly gifted or to better-funded households.

Or it did until the third year of King Ri Kai'lung's reign. The young ruler had been too busy repairing the damage his mad father had caused to Khaitan to focus on his kingdom's infrastructure. Now, having gathered sufficient backing among the nobles to do so, he turned his attention on the education system.

Now all youngsters would be taught the rudiments of reading and arithmetic. All youngsters would be given more than a basic understanding of magic. And all academies, no matter how prestigious, would be required to accept a set number of less fortunate students for remedial training, no matter what their skill or background might be.

#

Whomever chose Xiao Zhihao's name for him must have been engaging in wishful thinking. Unstoppable Courage befitted the hero of a some overly excited balladeer, but not a bamboo cutter's son. Gangly, plain, with coarse hair that refused to be combed, at fifteen his only saving graces were a mild temper and a talent for the Learnéd arts; reading, writing and calculation.

It'd been the last that'd gotten him into the candidate's class at Xian Zhishi Academy. It certainly wasn't his martial skills, nor his magic. His physical strength was matched an unwillingness to fight and though he had magic - according to the testers - it'd yet to manifest itself.

All Xian Zhishi's new students went through candidate testing. Six days of intensive training, three days of rest, followed by another six testing. Those students with tutors could skip the first, if they thought themselves good enough. The rest learned and studied and were often too tired to squabble.

It was the three day rest period between that saw the most infighting. That was when those forced to go through training watched the better educated candidates arrive. These were the pampered children of Khaitan's nobles. Young men and women dressed in fine silks, wearing delicate jewelry and a general air of superiority, entered the Academy's outer courtyard without a hint of anxiety. Most ignored the unlearnéd candidates, though some laughed, pointed and generally mocked those they felt least likely to make the cut.

Zhihao couldn't help watching the newcomers with wide and admiring eyes. They were elegant. Refined. The best and the brightest. All he was, was a bamboo cutter's son. Lacking education, uncertain of his magic, he felt more like an unsightly toad than a potential graduate of Xian Zhishi. If his mother hadn't worked so hard to get him this chance he'd have turned around and left by the end of the first day.

The other trainees were watching the parade of nobles with a mix of awe and envy. Zhihao struggled to stay upright in the crowd. Pushed side to side, he found himself squeezed forward and flung face first to the ground. Behind him, someone laughed mockingly. Being an unlearnéd candidate was like being one of several hundred carp in the river; all anxiously piling themselves atop each other, trying to get to through the dragon's gate first.

Finely tooled leather boots, dyed purple, blue, red and green, stopped inches from Zhihao's face. He rolled sideways, expecting to be kicked, and raised his eyes to a startling sight.