31. What Happens in Vegas

Start from the beginning

     "Let's start with a bottle of wine with lunch." Ever grinned, and turned to the bottles lined up along the wall. 

     "That sounds like a wonderful idea, Chase." 

     She randomly picked one, and did a little shimmy as she held it in my direction. 

     "Perfect."

     With that, our party officially started. 

*************************************************

     I woke up with a pounding head, and absolutely no recollection of the night before. The light was killing me, so I quickly closed my eyes again. 

     The last thing I remembered was playing cards with Ever. We were both still throwing back the drinks well after we should have stopped, though.  

     I forced my eyes to open back up again, and looked over at Ever. She looked to be in even worse shape than I was. Her phone kept ringing, reminding me that was what woke us up. 

     "I didn't know that phones could be that loud. Chase, please, make it stop." 

     I got out of bed with a groan and went in to get Ever's phone from the living area of the suite. With another groan, I shuffled back to the door of the bedroom. 

     "Ever, you should probably get up." 

    She grumbled, and started to get herself out of the bed. My eyes flew to the floor, and the white dress that was crumpled up on the floor. 

     I had planned to propose to my girl tomorrow afternoon during a fancy lunch before our flight home. I had a horrible feeling that I had already done it, though. That we had went ahead and got married already, based on the tux and dress our on bedroom floor. 

     She finally dragged herself over, and I rubbed the back of my neck. 

     "You have too many missed calls and messages from your dad to count."

     "Oh gosh. I have to call him, incase it's about the kids." Ever held out her hand, and I laid the phone into her palm. 

     She dialed his number, and put the phone onto a speaker call so that I could hear whatever he said, too. 

     "Hello, dad? Are the kids okay?" 

     There was a long pause, and I was waiting without breathing for him to say whatever it was he needed to say. 

     "Ever Weston, if I could ground you, I would. What were you thinking? That's right, you must not have!"

     She gave me a panicked look, and I returned it. 

     "Dad, I don't know what you're so angry about. It's early, and my head hurts."

     "It isn't early! It's two in the afternoon where you are. You got married last night and all I got was a video? I waited for over two years for that boy to propose, and I knew he was finally going to! I never expected you would get married without me, though!"

     Ever gasped, and a blush crept up her neck and onto her face. 

     "Sorry, got to go!" She hung up the phone, and turned to me with wide eyes. "Chase, we got married last night!" 

     "I had figured...based on the dress on the floor..."

     She rubbed a hand over her face, and then let it fall and stared at me with a sad expression on her face.