Chapter 5

#NewClassicPFL

Chapter 5
Support

After making a scene at the restaurant, Sic drove me back home. He stepped on the brakes in front of the huge modern stainless steel gate. It was around eleven when we reached my house.

Kahit na tumagal ng halos dalawang oras ang biyahe namin pauwi dahil sa trapiko, the ride still felt short because Sic kept me entertained the whole time. Hindi siya nawalan ng pang-iinis sa akin. Every time I'd try to keep my mouth shut, he'd do everything just to make me feel more irritated and argue back.

It was the most stressful ride home I had ever experienced. Thinking that I had to put up with him for a year, I needed to learn how to be more patient. I had to brace myself for it wouldn't be an easy journey. I knew it was going to be a challenge for me.

Hindi ko itatangging maikli lang ang pasensya ko pagdating sa mga tao o bagay na sumusubok doon. I was never the type of person to be lenient if I was being provoked―and that applies to everyone. Kapag alam kong nasagad na ang aking pasensya, I would pull myself out from the conversation and stay silent after speaking out my final piece.

While I was unbuckling my seatbelt, I caught him looking out to our house. Napataas ako ng kilay ngunit hindi ko na iyon pinuna. "Thanks for the dinner and for driving me home," sabi ko na lang.

Bubuksan ko na sana ang pintuan nang hawakan ni Sic ang aking braso. Nilingon ko siyang muli. His brows furrowed in thought until he stared directly in my eyes.

A little confused, I tilted my head on one side. "What?"

"Shouldn't I go inside?" he asked.

"For what?"

"It's almost midnight," he replied like it was enough for me to understand his intentions.

"And?" I probed.

He sighed heavily as if I was being too complicated. "I don't want your parents to worry. I should go inside and talk to them," he explained. "I didn't have the chance to ask for their permission earlier. It's the least I could do to show my respect."

My lips slightly parted. I wasn't expecting that he would bother thinking about that. No wonder he asked me that early evening if he should go inside first before we left.

Because of his playful nature, I never thought that he could be courteous and slightly old school. It reminded me of that Sic I met back in Paris―the man who was willing to help me without second thoughts.

Once again, my heart began to waver. However, I tried to steer myself away from thinking about those unwanted thoughts.

"You don't have to worry about that," I firmly told him. "My father's not home. He's on a business trip."

"What about your mother, then?"

Parang may panandaliang bumara sa aking lalamunan. Bahagya akong nag-iwas ng tingin sa kanya. "Matagal na siyang wala..." mahina kong sabi. "She died giving birth to me."

It grew colder inside his car when silence reigned over us. My breath caught and my throat felt tight and dry because of the pain resurfacing on my chest. I felt like I was suffocating until Sic's hand travelled from my arm down to my hand.

He gently squeezed my hand; I looked up to him. His warmth gradually spread, reaching my heart and throughout my entire body. His gaze deepened, but his eyes were shining with sincerity, throwing back the moonlight streaming through the windshield.

"I'm sorry." His voice was a bit hoarse. "I didn't mean to open up an old wound―"

"It's okay," I cut him off as I didn't want to dwell on sadness. "It's been years since I learned about her death. And besides, hindi mo naman alam ang tungkol doon. It's totally fine. Hindi mo kailangang humingi ng sorry."