chapter 45

"By the way, how is the new Cap?" Sharon asked them as she joined Ava and Bucky on the sofa.

"Don't get me started." Bucky answered her quickly.

"Please. You buy into all that stars and stripes bullshit. Before you were his pet psychopath.." Sharon pointed to Zemo who was perched at the side. "You were Mr America! Cap's best friend.

"Wow. She's kinda awful now." Bucky muttered as Ava just slipped from her seat to go and find a pair of shoes to match her dress.

"Karli Morgenthau and at least seven others have taken the serum." Sam told Sharon about the group they had met on the trucks.

"You guys really should steer clear of all of this for your own safety." Sharon exclaimed to Sam and Bucky.

"We know it's a risk, but we're not gonna leave until we find the one who cracked the code." Sam explained to her.

"We've got a name. Wilfred Nagel." Bucky added. Sharon looked to think for a moment before standing up from her seat.

"Nagel works for the Power Broker." Sharon notified them as she poured a drink.

"We need your help, Sharon. I can get your name cleared." Sam tried to make a deal.

"You haggling with my life?"

"Not like that."

"I don't buy that. You pretending like you can clear my name." Sharon sat down to face Sam as Ava rejoined them again, this time with some black heels.

"Okay, maybe it is hypocrisy. Maybe you're right. What happened to you. But I'm willing to try if you are." Sharon looked at Sam as he opened his chest to reveal Bucky. "They cleared the bionic staring machine, and he killed almost everybody he's met."

"I heard that." Bucky mumbled as Ava folded her legs underneath her.

"I don't trust charity." Sharon turned her head back to Sam.

"Alright, a deal then. You help us out, and I get your name cleared." Sam held out a hand for Sharon to shake. With a sigh, Sharon took hold of it, shaking it once and downing her drink.

"Well, I sell to some pretty connected people. Lay low, blend in, enjoy the party. Try to stay outta trouble, I'll see what I can find." Sharon gave them a final instruction before turning to go back towards her art.

"Well, you losers can mope around if you want, but I haven't been to a party in ages, so.." Ava began tightening the shoes to her feet.

"We got told to lay low." Sam reminded her.

"And I want to do the other two steps, you know, blend in and enjoy the party. Come on, Sam, we can have fun on the job." Ava stood up and ran he fingers through her hair as she turned to Bucky. "You'll come with me, right?" Bucky looked to think for a moment before he smirked.

"Why not?"

***

The place was packed full of buyers and party goers alike, drinks and arms in the air. While Sam and Zemo moved to go to the bar, staying out of sight, Ava managed to pull Bucky out to a quieter spot, still very much in the party but away from others.

"You should ask Sharon if the dress can stay." Bucky told Ava as she smiled back at him. "Do you wanna grab a drink?"

"I would, definitely." Ava laughed a little.

"Cause I would really like one." Bucky looked around to find a waiter just ahead.

"Something small wouldn't hurt I guess." Ava followed Bucky towards the man holding glasses of a green liquid. "Thanks." She shouted to him over the music as she downed a couple of the shots. Bucky had taken two and then grabbed some more as they walked away again. "Are you okay?"