Chapter 16- Dinner For Four?

I walk back through the front door of my house, greeted with the smell of dinner. I walk towards the kitchen, stopping when I see Luke laying on the couch, flipping through channels on the TV. At first I don’t think he realizes I’m here but then he turns and looks in my direction.

  “So,” He says, turning the TV off. “How was your date with Logan?”

  I cringe. Please don’t rub it in, Luke.

  “Did Ashley fill you in?” I ask, taking a seat next to him.

  He nods, helping me take my sweater off. I thank him, folding it, placing it in my lap.

  “She explained that her loser brother was your fake date, yes.”

  I hang my head, somewhat embarrassed. How stupid.

  “It was a dumb idea, and I’m really sorry.”

  Luke shakes his head, putting his arm around my shoulders.

 “Don’t be sorry,” He says, chuckling to himself. “Just promise to never do something like that again.”

  I laugh despite the tears forming in my eyes. Luke grabs a blanket that we have at the end of the couch and he wraps it around us, and I rest my head on his shoulder. I was the one who was going to try to help Luke, yet here he is, comforting me. If that’s not irony, I don’t know what is.

  I hear high heels on the linoleum and see that mom is carrying a tray with four plates on it, a big fat hamburger on each. She hands me a plate, then hands one to Luke. I’m so comfortable sitting here next to him that I don’t even move. I don’t care what conclusions mom comes up with. I’m comfortable, and warm, and dying to take a bite of the hamburger.

  It’s really amazing, and I finish it really quickly, loving the taste. Mom is the best cook ever. I always had the best bagged lunch back in elementary school.

  “Who’s the fourth plate for?” I ask.

  “Your father,” Mom says, sending a hopeful glance towards the front door, as if he will just pop in at any second. I know he won’t. If anything he’ll be late.

  I can’t help but smile at her. She acts like a girl who’s being stood up on some important date. And maybe she is. I pull out my phone, going to dad’s contact.

  “You’re not texting Brad are you?” Luke asks, his breath tickling my cheek.

  I laugh, shaking my head. Only Luke knows how to rub something in without having it be hurtful.

  Where are you? 7:18

  I set my phone in my lap, hoping dad will answer soon. Mom looks like she’s about ready to burst into tears. Luke grabs my phone when it buzzes and I slap his arm. He just laughs, kissing my cheek, finally giving my phone back to me. I just shake my head.

  Give me 15 mins. I’ll be there. Just leaving work. Tell ur mom I’m sorry 7:20

  I sigh, setting my phone down in my lap.

  “Dad says he’s sorry. He’ll be here in fifteen minutes, he just left work,” I say, breaking the news to mom. She just nods, fiddling with a button on her sweater. I feel horrible. She shouldn’t still be on the receiving end of his unkempt promises. That’s why they aren’t together right? So that they no longer have to worry about the other?

  “Is she okay?” Luke asks, his lips close to my ear so that mom can’t hear him.

  I shrug, looking at her downcast gaze. She looks like she’s on the verge of tears.

  “He does this a lot,” I whisper back.

  Luke rubs my arm, making me feel not so alone. Dad has been so distant ever since he became the owner of his large company. Not just from mom, but from me too. It hurts to think his job takes precedence in his life. Mom and I are second best.

  “He’s crazy,” Luke says, this time saying it loud enough for mom to hear too.

  “Who is, dear?” Mom asks, wiping at her eyes.

  “Mr. Martins. How could anyone in their right mind be late to dinner with you two?”

  “’He’s here!” Mom says, ignoring Luke’s statement completely, making a beeline for the door. I laugh after I am sure she is far enough out the door to not hear me.

  “She saw his headlights and ran to see him. How are your parents not together?” Luke asks, running a hand through his hair.

  “Sometimes I wonder that one myself,” I admit. “Maybe dad just doesn’t love her as much as she loves him.”

  Luke clicks his tongue.

  “Guys are good at hiding their feelings. Maybe he just doesn’t want her to know how he feels. I can’t blame him. Imagine how he would feel. He let them lose interest in each other once, and he probably feels stupid for it,” Luke states.

  “Speaking from experience?” I ask, grinning at his expression.

  He bites his lip, his tan cheeks turning pink.

  “You could hardly call a crush I had in eighth grade experience.”

  “What about Clarissa?” I ask. His smile withers away, his expression becoming serious, and I almost regret bringing her up. Maybe it’s too soon.

  Luke opens his mouth but then the door opens, cutting him off.

  Mom walks through the door, followed closely by dad.

  “Hey, sorry I’m late...” Dad stops when he sees Luke, and I can only imagine it makes it worse that Luke and I are sitting so close.

  “It’s no problem,” I say, trying to act nonchalant about it all.

  “Um, how about I get you a cup of coffee,” Mom offers, rushing off to the kitchen, leaving dad with Luke and I.

  I scooch further down the couch until there is a good two feet between Luke and I, hoping dad will let the whole issue drop.

  “How was your day at work, sir?” Luke asks politely, scooching until we are sitting right next to each other again. I groan.

  “It was great. Well if you can consider having to lay off some of your best workers great. I also lost some big clients,” Dad complains.

  “I’m sorry to hear that,” Luke says, resting his arm on the back of the couch, behind my neck.

  “Me too,”’ Mom says, reappearing with a cup of coffee for dad.

  “Would you two like anything?” Mom asks, turning to Luke and I.

  “How about two hot chocolates?” I offer, looking at Luke.

  He nods.

  “I’ll help you make those,” I say, following mom. She sends me a small smile, and I smile back. She just needed to see dad. That’s all it took for her to be all better again.

  “I’ll help too!” Luke calls, and instead of groaning, I chuckle slightly. Maybe I’m getting to be better at this whole friend thing after all.