The Gall. The Utter Gall

There are three things in the world you simply don't want to go through. A bad cold, stomach flu and a Mother who is so pissed off at you that she has abandoned all care for your office etiquettes.

"Ma, can you please keep your voice down, I am in the middle of work-"

"No. No, I won't! You will tell me now and you will tell me finally."

I sighed in exasperation, turning around to see if her voice was carrying through my earphones (it can't be ruled out). "Mom. What do you want to know?"

My mother was wearing a determined look. It was uncharacteristic of her; usually, she had her dramatic look.

So she meant business. She wanted me to know in all ways possible, that this time, I cannot evade her.

"Once and for all you tell me."

"Tell you what?" I hissed, glaring into the video call.

She pointed a finger at me. "Will you get married or not?"

"Oh. My. God. Again the same thing? Are you serious? I told you I will, in due time."

"Good. Now tell me when the time is due because according to me, time has been due since 2 years!"

"Well, if you insist that time is due, why even ask me?"

"Because I am not the one who is getting older than the marriageable age!"

"Are you sure about that?"

The finger she pointed at me was now a sign of warning. "You keep your smart mouth out of this conversation, okay?"

"Tough. It won't go", I replied petulantly.

"I have had enough of this. Last two years, every month you will bring up some drama or excuse to not meet grooms. Now I am done. You're 25. After a while you just have to listen to your parents."

"If this is your damn decision-"

"Mind your stupid tongue!" she barked.

"Then why the hell do you want me to answer your question?" I continued, ignoring her as I took viciously poked at my now cold maggi, scowling at the soggy mess.

"Because I want to know finally, what is stopping you. You first said education; you got good education. Then you whined about career. There, you got career. Nice career you have." she said aggressively.

"Thanks Mom", I replied, my tone dark.

"Now what is the excuse? Huh? Why are you so intent on watching me suffer, trying to explain why my daughter isn't married?"

"Oh my God. How about the real thing? I am not ready? I am just. Not. Goddamn. Ready. How about that huh?" I was about to embark on a heated lecture (yet again) about why the very thought of marriage and another man was puke-worthy to me in my current mental status when an email notification interrupted my flow of thoughts.

"Hello? Hello? Dhriti, has your screen frozen again or are you just being disrespectful?"

I gave the video a look. "I am here only. Wait, I have an email."

"Oh sure! When I am talking to you, ignore me, no. Why not? That's what I have taught you na, to ignore and not marry? My fault only. My fault to not fight with your father when he said 'Let's send her to America, what will happen?' well, look at all this-"

"Ma, first of all. I am at work. You're the one disturbing me here. And if a work email comes up on my screen, its expected of me to answer it."

She didn't like me making sense, I could tell. She just said 'Hmph' and waited, arms crossed, like I was eating up her time.